« first thoughts | Main | Thoughts... »

A response to your first thoughts

I responded the same way you did when I read the sentence about grad school. While you are reflecting on these points from the art instructor point-of-view, I am looking at this book through the lens of an instructional designer. While it might seem strange at first, there is actually quite a bit of overlap! When I design tools for work, I have to start by identifying a goal, but then there is a creative process during the brain-storming phase that requires the ability to use both sides of the brain, first from the creative right lobe inventing ideas, then from the left lobe as I think critically about how it would be adopted, the type of experience students would have, or even how it fits within a specific pedagogical context. Additionally, I have to switch back and forth as I reflect on each of these points. When I imagine a students experience with the content, resource, or tool I am considering, I have to invent scenarios that again demand the creativity only the right lobe could lend.

As a small anecdote, I was removing the stitches in the hemmed sleeve of a sweater today. After I snipped the thread, I was alternating index fingers as I pulled each thread out, much the same way you would unlace a shoe. I immediately considered the test subjects of chapter three that had their Corpus Callosum bisected, and how much trouble they would have with that activity being that their hands were operating independently!

Brad- I just wanted to say that I'm excited to have a non-art teacher perspective in our group. I think it will help all of us to keep a wider lens. I also think that when we are doing our presentaion that it would be good to have a little time dedicated to this perspective.

Brad- I'm excited to have you in our group to help supply a non-art teacher perspective. I hope that it will help us all to keep a wide lens. I also think that it would be nice to have a portion of our presentation dedicatied to more outside the art room perspectives.

Thanks Cassie, and thanks to everyone for letting me join your group!

I think it will add depth to the presentation to show multiple view-points, I agree. See you in class tomorrow!

It seems that we’re all finding ourselves slightly more aware of our lobe actions these days! Sunday evening I was preparing for a new Art 7 course and working on our first assignment in contour drawing and coloring. I was trotting along having a good time when Peter came in and stated “Do you have any idea what time it is?” I had told him an hour and a half earlier that I was going to begin supper shortly, but I found myself lost in the process of drawing.

In ch 3, Edwards discuses that “educators are increasingly concerned with the importance of intuitive and creative thought” but states that “nevertheless, school systems in general are skill structured in the left-hemisphere mode”. I’ve found in the last few conversations I’ve had both with educators and with parents of students that they both feel this concern for developing the creative process and are worried about what effect the cuts of the arts will have within our students success in the future. Has there been a time when the creative arts were thriving in the educational system or at least in some school settings? It might be interesting to look at the knowledge held by students enriched in the arts compared to students with little or no access….