« Week 1 | Main | Man-world Shackles & Vagabonds »

Millennium Development Goals...It's not, like, a big deal right!?

Millennium Goal number 8
We’re talking about Developing a Global Partnership for Development.
The reason this goal resonates well with me is because I believe a global foundation needs to be set so that all further work can be done on stable ground. We’ve become a community intertwined within one another, no matter the apparent distance...

What has become intertwined is our economies and politics along with, as we saw last year with China’s development boom, even construction practices. With that in mind it becomes difficult to imagine that one voice, no matter how rich, strong, or powerful, can be representative of all regions. It is best to hear from all the players involved.
That’s one of the ways that decisions can be made that are both thoughtful and well rounded.
It’s also a good base from which to work all other issues.

Below are a couple of quotes that I find especially powerful for simple and plain reasons.

• The poor give us much more than we give them. They're such strong people, living day to day with no food, and they never curse, never complain. We don't have to give them pity or sympathy. We have so much to learn from them. - Mother Theresa

• “It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish." - Mother Teresa

And this is how I hear it...

The Smiths – How Soon is Now?
• In an effort where the social urgency is many times overshadowed by personal politics, the general tone of the song seems to be entirely fitting because far too often the needs of the many are put on hold for the wants of the few. It's time to recognize the perpetual delay and change the pattern.

Dead Kennedys – Hellnation
• Chorus says it all -
"Problem is, few care about the people in despair. If you help no one you're guilty in the Hellnation"

The Bouncing Souls – I’m From There
• It's about brothers - the growing apart, recognizing differences & the coming together, recognizing their bond

7 Seconds – Expect to Change
• Again, the chorus says it all -
"But if I haven't done a thing for world affairs,
At least I know I try and I'll show that I care.
'Cause it's me that has to make an effort,
Or what can I expect to change.
That's where it starts, in myself,
Not just shifting all the blame."

The Bouncing Souls – Born Free
• It's the idea behind our nation of individuals. It's the idea behind us all.

7 Seconds – Walk Together, Rock Together
• Differences aside, isn't enough that we're all human in nature?

Dub Pistols – Keep Movin’
• Gain the momentum - Keep the momentum