« Midtown Market Energy Observations | Main | Genius Loci »

Social Design Issue

Having grown up in the southwest United States I am accustom to wide open spaces and having plenty of environmental space to expand. I am not used to the traffic flow problems becasue roads, freeways, and highways are often "overbuilt" to accomidate future population growth. having recently moved to Minnesota I have, regretfully, become aware of traffic issues, specificlly in south Minneapolis along 50th street, west of 35W and east of Edina. Being that 50th street is one of very few streets that run uninterupted between said areas, it has many traffic issues. 50th street is a two lane road that has the traffic flow of at least a four lane road! Expanding the road from two lane to four lane, however, does not seem to be a viable option. The parking lanes are desperatly needed by small shop owners. In an effort to increse traffic flow the city has made it illegal to park in the parking lanes durring rush hour. The design issue becomes "how do we increase traffic flow without hurting small businesses along 50th street." The answer, to me, seems to be that parking structures are needed. This would allow for traffic to flow in four lanes nearly the entire length of the said problem area.

Good write-up, I am normal visitor of oneˇ¦s site, maintain up the excellent operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a long time.