Ode to Simplicity

I was riding the campus connecter the other day when I noticed a sticker on the seat in front of me. Like some gift that arrives when it’s least expected, this particular sticker came to me at a much-needed time, after an overly long and tiring day of classes. In simple block letters, it read, “Life is too beautiful to give up?. And while I usually don’t take random stickers I find to heart, this quote seemed to stick. I find myself looking more and more closely at the world around me.

In Biology 2002, we worked on a fluorescent microscopy lab. We stained cells from an “immortalized? mouse cardiac fibroblast cell line with phalloidin, anti-tubulin antibody and DAPI to identify actin, tubulin and DNA nuclei, respectively. After staining the cover slips containing the cells ourselves, we got to look at our slides underneath a fluorescent microscope. The fluorescent microscope sends light through a filter, illuminating the cell sample with light within a narrow band of wavelengths. Some light is absorbed, while other wavelengths of light are emitted. Each cell, appearing unimpressive at first glance, is in fact, a beautiful and intricate array of organelles, observed in radiant color under the fluorescent microscope. I was astounded by the amount of detail I could see, in something as seemingly simple as a cell.

As I walk around campus, I take the time to admire the shades of oranges and yellows and reds surrounding me. I take the time to watch the leaves fluttering in gentle breezes and listen to their soft rustling. I take the time to notice the brilliant blue of the sky with only thin wisps of clouds floating past, or the way the sun glints off the downtown skyscape, making light appear to dance on glass.

Life gets complicated and hectic; disappointments and occasional defeats are inevitable. But if I take the time to observe my surroundings and let the simplicities of life amaze me, I find happiness.
Finding beauty in the simple things - that, I believe, is what really makes life infinitely fascinating and ultimately, truly meaningful.