Finals and sliegh bells around the corner

As the end of the semester approaches, these last few weeks of school are a whirlwind of meetings, projects and exams, exams, exams. Regardless, I still make time to go cardboard sledding, ice skating, dancing… life is short.

This is my first legitimate post. So much has happened this semester. I’ll talk about a few of the things that stand out in my mind for the purpose of giving you a little introduction to who I really am. I plan to post more or less regularly in the spring.

Fall Tidbits:

1. The Wake takes off:
This was my first semester as Editor-in-Chief of The Wake Student Magazine. There are a lot of gory details I could bore you with, as I am sure you can imagine. It suffices to say that this semester we created a new science section called “Mind’s Eye,? which has so far covered a wide breadth of topics including global warming, conservation, video game reviews, and sex education. This has defiantly been a learning semester for me with The Wake. I’ve always been disdainful of the term “leadership skills,? but it turns out that being a leader requires plenty of sweat, tears, and concentrated effort. Next semester is going to be really great. We are working on completely redesigning our website and kicking off the semester with a panel discussion, the topic of which yet remains undecided – something science related, perhaps! www.wakemag.org – check it out!

2. Frog Communication:
This semester I began working with Prof. Mark Bee from the Ecology department. I have been running some tests to see which sound frequencies a certain species of female frog responds to when injected with progesterone and another hormone, to simulate breeding season. This research fits into a broader topic of animal acoustic communication. I am planning on continuing to work with Mark next semester and into the summer – at which time there will be a field component to the work. We’re going to be going out between 9pm and 2:30 am to capture frogs from the field! Now that’s the sort of thing that really gets my blood pumping.

3. Organic Chemistry is awful.
It’s not really that hard, but it takes a lot of time and patience. Word for the wise: make sure you have enough time to dedicate to this class when you register. First semester as editor of The Wake is incompatible with the first semester of Ochem. Ah well, you live and you learn.

Complaining aside, I’ve had another great semester at the UMN, and am looking forward to many more. I have so many wonderful and supportive friends, professors and advisors. I feel intellectually challenged and stimulated. Sometimes, going into finals, it can be hard to be thankful for the challenging nature of my classes, but it’s not so bad if I try to see the forest though the trees.

Peace,
Alice