1/16th of the Way There

"There are some things you learn best in calm, and some in storm."
-Willa Cather

Last week marked week 10. Week 10 was significant for two main reasons. First, it was our infamous midterm week in which the first year medical students had 4 days of exams covering anatomy, histology, embryology, genetics, and biochemistry. Secondly, it mean that we were 1/2 way done with the semester. 1/4 way done with first year. 1/8 of the way done with our first 2 years. 1/16 of the way done with medical school.

After the round of midterms, my body buddy (or one of the classmates I share a cadaver with in anatomy lab) made that observation that we were 1/16th of the way done with medical school, but he didn't feel like he was 1/16th of a a doctor. While I don't know what 1/16th of a doctor feels like, I thought he raised an important point. We are well on our way through medical school.

Looking back on the last 10 weeks, there definitely has been a lot of blood (from looking at histology slides), sweat (our classmates are rather athletic and some ran the Twin Cities Marathon), and tears (from both frustration and happy moments). There have been times when studying seemed to go slower than molasses on a cold winter's day and there have been times when I could not be any more excited to be dissecting in anatomy class. Medical school definitely has it's ups and downs, but overall I have been very happy. Even when I struggle with a topic or am frustrated, I feel a general sense of happiness overall....after all, being able to overcome something that is hard for you to do instills a sense of accomplishment and motivates you to keep going. After all, we are 1/16th of the way there.