The Cost of Education

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
-Derek Bork

Last week I went in for a financial aid meeting and learned that the average indebtness for a graduating student from the U of M Medical School class of 2010 was $175,000. That's right, $175,000 or the cost of a small house or two 2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL550 4WD with V8 or 175,000 items from the Dollar Store. While that is quite a daunting number, the value of the education I and fellow medical students will be receiving will be worth it.

Now approximately 2 months into medical school, I have realized what an investment medical school is. On the individual level, it is is an investment in terms of money, time, and energy. In addition, to the loans one must take out, one is also sacrificing a lot of their time into learning and gaining the competencies necessary to be a successful doctor. On the institutional side of things, the school is also investing many resources to help students succeed. Thus, overall medical school can be seen as a costly endeavor but in the end it will be worth it. The hours upon hours studying in the library and the thousands taken out in student loans will pay off in the end. The education we are investing in now will enable medical students like me the chance to work in a field we love and are interested in and also improve the health of the community. While the costs may seem high now, in the end the rewards will be worth it.