Recently in Analysis Category

Analysis

In the story about Bahrain's Formula One race, the reporter relied heavily on computer-assisted reporting because they were not allowed in the area where the news was happening.
The reporters that wrote about the incidents surrounding the protests, the hunger strike of the prisoner, the death of the civil rights leader and the arrest of a British news crew were all found out via the internet.
The story specifically sited watching people's Twitter accounts for news updates, which is where the British newsman reported his release.
They also relied on reporters who were in the country to post pictures and for protesters to post pictures on the internet using various social media sites or blogs.

Analysis

I decided to look back at the story about the Minnesota child who went missing with his father for two weeks, and then upon being found, inflicted injuries on himself.
My initial reaction is that the father is mentally ill and should not have custody of the child. I think it was unstable and wrong for him to take off with the child in the first place because it was unlawful, but the fact that he then inflicted injuries to himself only confirmed my initial fears that he was an unstable person. I am a single woman with no children. In fact, I don't even like children all that much, so my view is very limited as to how these types of thing work. What does a custody battle like the one the Minnesota man is going through look like? How does this really affect the child? I can only guess.

I brought this up to a friend, Ryan, 35, who is the father of two boys to get more insight. I found it surprising that his initial thought wasn't first about what a sick man the father was like me, but about the sadness of the custody battle. My friend did not condone the father's actions, but said simply, "I don't see why there has to be a custody battle in the first place."
Ryan talked about how he feels that it is in the best interest of the child to have 50/50 custody in most cases, and he felt it was sad that the child was used as "leverage" in the custody proceedings.
Ryan wondered aloud, about why it is, "presumed that it is better for the kid to be with only one parent, anyways."
After talking to Ryan regarding the part about the dad inflicting bodily harm to himself I asked him if he thought the father was stable enough to care for the child.
Ryan said he felt the incident was an act of desperation, which could probably be blamed largely on "the system."
"Now this guy is going to labeled as a flight risk and emotionally unstable for the rest of his parenting life and it's going to be an up-hill fight to maintain any remotely normal relationship with his kids," Ryan said.
Ryan finished by saying he thought many of these issues could be avoided if there was a presumption of equal custody from the start of custody proceedings.

Numbers analysis

I looked at a story about the people who won the recent Mega Millions jackpot. The author was crunching the numbers in regards to how much each winner will take home, assuming they take the lump sum award. The author compared the winnings to the net worth of some of the richest people in the world and basically warned against the ruin that will come of the winners if they act like some of the richest people in the world. The article wasn't implying that the richest people in the world were stupid, but just that their income was not as finite as winning the lottery once and many lottery winners in the past have wasted their earnings in the past, not realizing how finite the money was.
The author used dollar amount, obviously, by comparing the amount thing cost. For instance, a fancy apartment in New York, the Dodgers sports team, etc... The author primarily focused on using numbers in this way for the article.
Also, numbers were broken down in regards to costs per day to make it more understandable the amount we were talking about. For instance, when one hears that a person earns $7 million per year, this is likely a number that most people can't really comprehend. The author points out that this is equal to $19,000 a day. This makes the number such that many people can understand how that would change a life. $19,000 is what some people make in a year!
In addition, percentages were used to describe what percentage of the richest population the winners fell into now.
Here is the article in question!

Analysis of speech

In the story about Senator Olympia Snowe announcing she will not run again next term, the reporter for CNN went above and beyond by not only sharing the words the Snow said, but also the history and impact of the speech.

The reported talked about five over senators who will not be running for another term in the senate for similar reasons and then gave feedback from other people in the senate about whether the decision was good or bad.

Finally, the reporter also talked about how this decision along with the other five decisions to not run for another term will affect the senate in the next election process and, essentially why this situation is important.

it would be fair to say that most of the article was not about Snowe's statement about why she is resigning as much as what people's reactions to her decision were.

Analysis - Multimedia Options

I will compare the stories I used about Marie Colvin dying in Syria. I used CNN News and NPR News. These two news organizations are both reputable news sources, and both cover national and international news, not having a clear tie to a specific locality, except the United States, of course.

CNN is what some people might see as a more traditional news source. Their articles are made primarily for print, and the multimedia pieces they use are generally pictures and sometimes videos. The writing included in CNN stories generally follows the AP Style guidelines and any pictures or videos used compliment the written story, rather than imitate it or go over the same information.

NPR is a radio news organization that also has a written component, although many times the written component is a transcript of their radio broadcast or interviews. This writing is not necessarily in the AP Style, as radio journalism has it's own style., as evident by the way the article was written in this case.

The multimedia options they generally choose for their websites are links to podcasts of their radio programming or recordings of a news story. Generally there are not as many visual multimedia options used as with news organizations like CNN, because NPR is appealing to a market who enjoys radio, or news they can listen to while doing something else like driving or working.

In addition, the podcasts of NPR news broadcasts generally integrate sound effects like those of Edward R. Murrow broadcasts. While noises may be present in the videos on traditional news sites like CNN, they are generally not integrated into the story the way they are with NPR broadcasts.

First day vs. Second day stories

I am comparing the story on cnn.com regarding the robbery in Greece. Here is the first-day story. Here is the follow-up story.

The leads in the two stories are about the same subject, of course, but approach it in different ways. The first day story just states that robbers broke into the museum and stole artifacts. The second day story said that not only did robbers break in, but starts out talking about the manhunt that is taking place to find the robbers.

The first day story is three sentences long. Each sentence is attributed to the police and states what happened regarding the burglary.

The second day story is 13 paragraphs long and discusses not only the actual burglary, but also discusses a burglary that happened in Greece last month, budget and staffing cuts to the museum, the resignation of an official, and touches on the lighting of the Olympic flame ceremony, which is going to be held at the site in May.

The first day story very clearly is attempting to get the facts of the story out as quickly as possible, as opposed to trying to write a riveting story. The second day story tells the reader more information about why they should care and the impact this robbery is having on people.

The second day story could very well be a response to other news organizations. The Huffington Post also had a very detailed account of the robbery along with discussion about the budget cuts to the museum and the 2013 Olympics. It certainly would not be very competitive of CNN to write the initial story, which was 3 sentences long, and leave it at that because readers interested in the story would have to move to another news organization to find the information they want.

Analysis of the progression of information

In the story about the American student and Australian journalist, the information is ordered in a way that gives the most reliable sources first, and then orders the rest of the information lower, as the sources of the information become less reliable or professional. For instance, one of the first sources is a spokesman for the Joint Chiefs of Staff while the last source is the American student's twitter account, which could or could not really be her tweeting.
I think the reporter has chosen to do this because the most important information in the story is that information which is solid- the things we know for positive.
This could have talked about the American student's twitter activity first, which I think would have made the story more grabbing at the beginning. The story begins by talking about the two people who have been arrested, but then jumps down to talking about the relationship between the U.S. and Egypt, before coming back to the two arrested people.
I think I would have liked the story more if the story would have been organized the other way around.

Sources Analysis

In the CNN story about the Susan G. Komen foundation's decision to stop funding many Planned Parenthood programs, there were 13 different sources. The sources used included the offices of the primary companies involved in the stories, including Planned Parenthood, the mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg's office, and the Susan G. Komen foundation.

The sources who were individually named included the obvious people a reader would want to hear from such as the president of Planned Parenthood, Cecile Richards, and both the CEO and the president of the Komen foundation, Nancy Brinker and Liz Thompson, respectively.

I noticed there seemed to be significantly more quoted sources from the Komen Foundation than from Planned Parenthood. This seemed appropriate, however, considering the Komen foundation was the organization taking the action in the story. In addition, Planned Parenthood and the mayor were both criticizing the Komen foundation and making somewhat inflammatory claims about the Komen foundation. In order to give the Komen foundation a fair voice in the story, I think it was important to find as many comments from them as possible.

In addition to Brinker and Thompson, the people named from the Komen foundation included Kathy Plesser, who was against the decision the Komen foundation made, Mollie Williams, who no longer works for Komen, but was saddened by the split between Planned Parenthood and the Komen foundation, and Elizabeth Berger, who gave a statement about a resignation of an employee for the Komen foundation.

In addition to the above-named sources, CREDO, a corporate supporter of Planned Parenthood, and the American Life League, a supporter of the Komen foundation decision were both quoted.

The sources were spread throughout the story, though most of the Pro-Planned Parenthood sources were near the beginning of the story and most of the sources associated with the Komen foundation were found near the end. I think this happened due to coincidence based on the way the story flowed best.

The journalist who wrote the article allowed the story to flow from one idea to the next without trying to equal out every opposing quote or idea immediately, but letting each idea have it's own place in the article. My questions were answered by the sources in the story as they arose in my mind. In this way, it seemed as though the article lead me down a mapped out path in such a way that it didn't feel forced.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Analysis category.

International News is the next category.