A start at organizing educational games

At the end of one of my presentations at GLS 3.0, I was approached by a number of teachers who wanted a list of recommended educational games. Alas, at the moment, I had no good suggest for them. But thanks to the nature of web crawling, I have found a start at Super Smart Games.

This site groups games by potential subject matter, which is a great beginning to solving the challenge of finding an appropriate game. While there is some direction given toward exemplary games - and there is space for commenting upon a selection, the site still has room for improvement.

Things I want to see in a listing (or journal!) of educational uses for games is a rating system that indicates the best age match for the game, indication of what gender finds the game appealing (and why), reviews by kids themselves, a list of skills that can be fostered in the game, the level fidelity to real world concepts, classification of type of game, and tie-ins to state standards of education. I know that is a lot to ask of any site!

While I'm at it, I'd also like a tie-in to lesson plans. We can't have all that we want, and I'm grateful to have even this much. Still, I think we can do more as educators who game to help out educators new to the medium.

Posted by bjohnson at 3:01 PM

Virtual Worlds News

Yes, there is a blog about virtual worlds, probably more than one, but this is the latest I've found: Virtual Worlds News.

Notice also that they have a tie in to a conference approaching in October.

Posted by bjohnson at 9:38 AM