Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia

This looks like a promising journal, covering educational aspects of various media including games and simulations. In fact, the Fall 2007 issue is devoted to educational gaming! The introduction to the issue lays out the various issues relating to educational use of games in a very readable fashion. For interested educators, this issue is well worth the read!

It is a publication of the Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education, so the educational focus is paramount, unlike many other journals and sites devoted to aspects of games, simulations, and virtual worlds.

Posted by bjohnson at 1:51 PM

The International Journal of Computer Game Research

This peer-reviewed online journal has been infrequently published since 2001, providing an interdisciplinary platform for research on game research.

More than any other games research journal currently in publication, Game Studies (as the journal is commonly known), brings together an international authorship, pulling many articles from researchers in Western Europe as well as the United States.

The most current issue is from August 2007, featuring a mix of articles regarding the aesthetics of games, cooperation in multiplayer games, narratives in games, and content analysis. If you think that hacking and slashing is all that there is to computer games, check out this journal for an eye-opening look at ludology.

Posted by bjohnson at 3:11 PM

Educational Game Review?

The search continues ....

... for a quality game review journal that appeals to educators, parents, and perhaps even gamers who want to go beyond the grey, black, and sex-appeal layouts of the most popular game review magazines.

There are a few candidates out there to be explored. Smart Games was mentioned in the previous entry. It has been getting some buzz among the Games+Learning+Society groupies, but that doesn't mean it has much traction. And I haven't been able to find anyone who relies upon it for aid in selecting games or for advice in how to fit games into the curriculum and class room.

Another entry is the Children's Technology Review, which reviews games for kids from birth to age 15. They do review an impressive slew of games each month, so I should subscribe to them - if only to put some money into their pockets instead of into rags such as PC Gamer and Electronic Games Monthly (who seem bent on reveling in the stereotype of violence and sex as the two pillars of popular video games).

The search continues, and I welcome any suggestions for avenues to explore - especially anyone who has a broader range of reviewers than the general geek mold of young, white male. In the meantime, check out the two I've mentioned and let me know if they help YOU decide what titles to use at home or in the classroom!

Posted by bjohnson at 3:15 PM

A start at organizing educational games

At the end of one of my presentations at GLS 3.0, I was approached by a number of teachers who wanted a list of recommended educational games. Alas, at the moment, I had no good suggest for them. But thanks to the nature of web crawling, I have found a start at Super Smart Games.

This site groups games by potential subject matter, which is a great beginning to solving the challenge of finding an appropriate game. While there is some direction given toward exemplary games - and there is space for commenting upon a selection, the site still has room for improvement.

Things I want to see in a listing (or journal!) of educational uses for games is a rating system that indicates the best age match for the game, indication of what gender finds the game appealing (and why), reviews by kids themselves, a list of skills that can be fostered in the game, the level fidelity to real world concepts, classification of type of game, and tie-ins to state standards of education. I know that is a lot to ask of any site!

While I'm at it, I'd also like a tie-in to lesson plans. We can't have all that we want, and I'm grateful to have even this much. Still, I think we can do more as educators who game to help out educators new to the medium.

Posted by bjohnson at 3:01 PM

Virtual Worlds News

Yes, there is a blog about virtual worlds, probably more than one, but this is the latest I've found: Virtual Worlds News.

Notice also that they have a tie in to a conference approaching in October.

Posted by bjohnson at 9:38 AM