End of the Ed.D. Study Groups

I tossed in the proverbial towel. Too many complaints about the times chosen. Too many people who are interested in coming but are "too busy" to attend. Too many people who won't make attending a priority but then turn around and complain about feeling left out. Too many people who enjoy the opportunity but then won't defend the existence of open study groups when the complaints roll in.

It's not worth the aggravation, not to mention the hours that I spend in just finding a room on campus for each meeting. Informal groups will form within the cohort. People will be left out. I've decided that it is not my problem.

Study group canceled

I canceled the evening study group for 9/20/07 since no one was committed to attending that one. A couple of people have expressed interest in doing it next week, however.

Morning study group a bust

First attempt at having a cohort reading/writing group looks like a bust. I'm here (3rd floor Kirby lounge - near our summer classroom), but everyone else is at least a half-hour late.

The perpetual problem of scheduling adult, non-traditional students to engage in face to face sessions remains in effect. Also, the constant problem with all students - what doesn't directly result in a grade - may come into play here as well. Location confusion may also be a contributing factor, although this space should be one familiar to all members of our cohort.

I'm not mad. I'll keep trying to get this organized since I know from experience that a lot of the transferable learning in becoming an academic happens in these sessions. But it is a mark of what does not work well with a hybrid situation, especially one that involves busy adults.

We'll see how the session at 7:00 pm tonight goes.

Grad School Boot Camp

For the second time in as many weeks, I feel that I am going off to some final, epic battle. Epic in terms of my life - not in terms of the cares of the universe. A sort of combination between the Last Samurai and Real Genius. It is not a pleasant feeling.

Continue reading "Grad School Boot Camp" »

Meetings

Meetings are the perennial bane of the knowledge worker, but it seems worse in my situation than it ever did before since, for me, the overhead of each meeting is so very, very high.

Continue reading "Meetings" »

Advising

If I'm going to solve problems, I have to be honest with myself. I hate to make the substantial post of this section a con post, but this is what's on my mind right now.

I'm out of the loop.

Continue reading "Advising" »