Assignment #5: Structured Idea Generation

PART 1: SCAMPER

I started this assignment by jumping into part one which had to do with the SCAMPER tool of idea generation. Using my sub-theme of scarves, I used SCAMPER to come up with some more ideas pertaining to a possible product in this field. I made notes in my design notebook and included a photo of it below.

scamper.jpg

From this activity, I chose one idea from each category and included a sketch of it in my design notebook as well. The ideas are also included here:

scamper1.jpg

scamper2.jpg

scamper3.jpg

scamper4.jpg

scamper5.jpg

scamper6.jpg

scamper7.jpg

PART 2: MORPHOLOGICAL MATRIX

The next part of the assignment required the use of one of the matrix-based tools we discussed in lecture. I decided to use the morphological matrix and came up with the following table:

matrix.jpg

The table I created resulted in a few new ideas, which I included below.

matrix1.jpg

matrix2.jpg

PART 3: BRAINSTORMING SESSION REVISITED

For this section of the assignment, we were asked to revisit the top ideas that resulted from our brainstorming session. Of those ideas, we were to decide if any had the potential to turn into real products. The ideas that I thought might have the potential were:

1. iScarf: a scarf that has a built-in iPhone/iPod/mP3 player and headphones

2. Beer Scarf: a scarf with a built-in coozie and bottle opener (perfect for tailgating in cold weather!)

3. Blanket Scarf: a system of scarves that, when not in use, can be attached together to be used as a blanket

4. Scarf/Coat Attachment: a scarf/coat set that can be attached together, so you don't have to worry about losing it or having it come undone

PART 4: "BEST OF THE BEST" PRODUCT IDEAS

For the last part of this assignment, we were to select the top 10 ideas we have encountered to date for our sub-theme. We were to sketch these ideas in our notebook as well as post them here. (Drum roll please....)

Here they are:

best1.jpg

best2.jpg

best3.jpg

best4.jpg

best5.jpg

best6.jpg

best7.jpg

best8.jpg

best9.jpg

best10.jpg

Hi,
I understand that I may be jumping the gun here, but your post seems a tad underdone. Is your part 4 supposed to be the sketches from assignment 4? There are 9 pictures of sketches, I think there should be 11 more. You also might want to excise the prompt before Cory sees it- he spoke about how we should delete them. Despite all of these criticisms, you have some good ideas! It is clear that the structured idea generation worked for you and you documented it well.

Hello!
It was interesting to see the ideas that you came up with using the techniques we just learned. Overall, your blog layout is very nice. The pictures are easy to see and the sections are distinguishable by subtitles which is very helpful and leads me to focus on your ideas rather than try to figure out what is going on.

I think the idea behind the scarf blanket system is solid. Maybe this could be developed further by focusing on a user group to market it to, such as the outdoor-camper-hiker persona. I can definitely see the beer opener/ coozie scarf being used at tailgates. Very nice job with your top 10 ideas.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Hey Marin,
Looks like you had really strong process work and idea generation. Just being nitpicky but it would have been nice to scan your images or not take them with a flash. I also found some of the descriptions written on the pages difficult to read.
I agree with Darien that you might want to continue to develop your ideas further and that having an intended user might bring about more creative designs. You could also continue more with the Combine aspect of SCAMPER. What if the removable scarf/jacket had a hood that tucked into the scarf?
-P