Poem and Blog Subscribe

It was great meet you all yesterday!

First, I want to remind you to subscribe to the blog feed so that you recee ive updates whenever I post a new message, which I plan to do frequently.

You might also want to "Add a Block" in Moodle for the blog. On the right side column of Moodle click on "Add a Block" and in the drop-down menu click on "add a blog," Then type in this blog address: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/blakedj/myblog/. Of course, you can always click on the link I showed you in class, in the middle column of Moodle at the top..

Remember also to read and think about the meaning of the poem, The New Colossus. We will be discussing the poem briefly in class and then writing about it.

Consider the following questions as you read and reread the poem:
1) What sentiments about the U.S. as a nation and about immigrants of the late 19th century does the poem represent.
2) Do you think the same sentiment about immigrants exists today by government officials and agencies? U.S. citizens? Why or why not?
3) What is the significance that this poem was inscribed on a plague in the Statue of Liberty?