Bring a written thesis statement to class on Monday.
To write a strong thesis:
1) Read the article on Irish immigration and add to your comparison and contrast list.
2) Reread the German and Swedish immigration articles and analyze the types of similarities and differences that exist among all three groups.
3) Synthesize this information into one or two main ideas that characterize the overall experience of immigration described in all of the articles.
4) Create an argument/thesis statement that tells the reader what you think are the most significant ideas in the articles.
5) Use specific information, rather than vague ideas. The more specific the better.
You may want to use an "Although" clause to allow for differences or contrasts among the groups or discrepancies in expectations. Example: Although all of the immigrants desired..., what they found when they arrived....