Digital Takeover

online shopping.jpg

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/marketing-solutions/benchmark-reports/black-friday-2012.html?cm_mmc=holiday2012-benchmark-reports-_-press-release-_-wire-_-text-link

The article above discusses the IBM 2012 Holiday Benchmark Reports. The numbers represented show a ridiculous trend. On Black Friday mobile traffic grew by more than 67%. Mobile sales doubled to 16% and the overall sales for Black Friday increased 20.7%. The research that stood out to me was the break down of tablet and smart phone purchases. The iPad beat out any other smart phone and tablet with roughly 10 percent of the traffic for online shopping. The iPhone followed with 8.7 percent. I wonder if the Nook, Kindle, and other smart phones will look at these statistics and try to model their ability to shop on them.

The article does not describe how they got the information but I find it very interesting that they can track all of the different sales from different apparatuses. There must be some form of tracker within each purchase that says what kind of device the purchase was made over.