To the minors out there | Main | Quote of the Week

Manhattan

A manhattan was introduced to me my girlfriend'd dad and it is a dinner time winner. Mine are made preferably with VO whiskey, sweet vermouth, and a ton of bitters. Be careful with these drinks, they can be made quite strong.

A Manhattan is made with rye whiskey or bourbon, sweet vermouth (proportions vary from a "sweet" 1:1 to a "dry" 4:1), and a dash of bitters. The cocktail version is stirred with ice and strained into a cocktail glass, garnished with a Maraschino cherry with a stem. Unless specifically requested, the Bitters is omitted at many bars. Sometimes juice from the cherry jar is added to the cocktail to add sweetness and color.
A popular myth suggests that the drink originated at the Manhattan Club in New York City, where it was invented at a banquet hosted by Jennie Jerome (Lady Randolph Churchill, Winston's mother) in honor of presidential candidate Samuel J. Tilden. Enjoyable as the tale might be, research has debunked it.
The Wisconsinites out there traditionally make them with Christian Brothers brandy rather than bourbon. Therefore, it is crucial to specify your preferred spirit when traveling in these areas to avoid disappointment.

Variations on the Manhattan

A Rob Roy is a cocktail with a certain structural similarity to a Manhattan and
also to the ubiquitous Martini. The Manhattan is made with bourbon whiskey
and sweet vermouth, while the Rob Roy is made with Scotch whisky and sweet
vermouth. as its principal ingredient.
A Perfect Manhattan is made with equal parts sweet and dry vermouth.
A Cuban Manhattan is a Perfect Manhattan with dark rum as its principal
ingredient.
A popular Florida option consists of a lime instead of the cherry, bitters , and
dry vermouth.

Historical Information brought to you by http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com
Please nominate your drink of the week here.

Posted by bloc0103 at December 2, 2004 2:55 PM | Drink of the Week

Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! rtcoirzzghgcyd

Posted by: frhfcdspew at August 5, 2007 4:44 PM

I'm new to this very blogosphere world of marketing and advertising, and have to compliment you about this post. Love it! I'm your personal business owner, and spend most of my time meandering round these sites, trying to work out how to use what I'm knowing. I will, I recognize it!

Posted by: Pablo Horton at January 15, 2011 1:20 AM

We truly like your blog post Bobby's Boozer: Manhattan and find almost all of your stories being what precisely I'm looking for. Do you provide other people to publish information available for you! We wouldn't mind producing a post or perhaps highlight within many of the subjects you're posting with regards to in this article. Again, awesome website! Furthermore whats the latest on Obama remarkable media stories!

Posted by: Rob Rasner Magic at May 6, 2011 5:46 AM