« Two Charged in Motorcycle Death | Main | Stocks Continue to Plummet; Bush Vows Resolution »

Nobel Peace Prize to be Awarded to Former Finnish President

The Nobel Foundation has announced that former Finnish president Martti Ahtisaari will claim the coveted Nobel Peace Prize at an awards ceremony this December.

The foundation selected Ahtisaari "for his important efforts, on several continents and over more than three decades, to resolve international conflicts," as reported by the BBC.

Ahtisaari's work included establishing Namibia and working to resolve violent conflicts in Indonesia, Central Asia and twice in Kosovo. His most recent work has been in Iraq, according to The New York Times.

In a speech accepting an award from UNESCO, the 71-year-old peace negotiator called on his childhood as motivation for his lifelong work.

“The origins of my career as a peace mediator can be found from my childhood years. I was born in the city of Viipuri, then still part of Finland. We lost Viipuri when the Soviet Union attacked my country. Along with 400,000 fellow Karelians I became an eternally displaced person in the rest of Finland,? he said, as is reported by The New York Times.

Along with the peace prize, the Nobel Foundation awards four other prizes - for chemistry, literature, physics, and physiology or medicine - each year. Recipients receive a gold medal, diploma, and 10 million Swedish kronor, according to CNN.