Blagojevich Gives Farewell Speech

Rod Blagojevich, former Illinois governor, gave his final words to the press Wednesday before beginning his prison sentence.

Blagojevich's 14-year prison term begins Thursday at the Federal Correctional Institution Englewood in Littleton, Colorado, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

FBI agents arrested Blagojevich, now 55, in 2008 on charges of attempting to sell President Barack Obama's former Senate seat. According to MSNBC, Blagojevich is the second consecutive Illinois governor to end up in prison.

"I'm responsible for the things I said," Blagojevich said, all the while keeping his hand on the shoulder of his wife, who silently squinted into the sunlight during his speech. "I accept that decision, as hard as it is."

He also focused on highlights of his time as governor, including being reelected and implementing a new health care program. "That made some of being governor worth while to me," he said.

Blagojevich delivered the speech outside of his home on the north side of Chicago, closely surrounded by 300 people who came to witness the live broadcast speech, Reuters reported. The crowd chanted, "Free our governor," and shouted "We love you, Rod!" as the speech came to a close.