Former "Sex and the City" star Cynthia Nixon says she is gay by choice

By Alysha Bohanon

A recent comment from former "Sex and the City" star Cynthia Nixon stating she is gay by "choice" has sparked controversy in the gay and lesbian community, news sources report.

"I gave a speech recently, an empowerment speech to a gay audience, and it included the line 'I've been straight and I've been gay, and gay is better.' And they tried to get me to change it, because they said it implies that homosexuality can be a choice. And for me, it is a choice. I understand that for many people it's not, but for me it's a choice, and you don't get to define my gayness for me," Nixon stated in an interview with the New York Times published January 19.

The comment was riled many gay activists, such as John Aravosis, who says Nixon is bisexual, not gay. He went on to write that Nixon "needs to learn how to choose her words better, because she just fell into a right-wing trap, willingly. When the religious right says it's a choice, they mean you quite literally choose your sexual orientation, you can change it at will, and that's bull," as quoted in the Los Angeles Times.

Nixon is currently in a relationship with Christine Marinoni after coming out as gay in 2004. The couple have a son together, and Nixon has two children from a previous relationship, msnbc.com reports.