Kafka, Franz. The Complete Stories and Parables

Kafka, Franz. The Complete Stories and Parables. Ed. by Nahum N. Glatzer. New York: Schocken Books, Inc., 1971.

Related Fragments:
The Truth About Sancho Panza
Without ever boasting of it, Sancho Panza succeeded in the course of years, by supplying a lot of romances of chivalry and adventure for the evening and night hours, in so diverting from him his demon, whom he later called...
The Pit of Babel
What are you building?—I want to dig a subterranean passage. Some progress must be made. My station up there is much too high. We are digging the pit of Babel. [K 464]...
The Tower of Babel
If it had been possible to build the Tower of Babel without ascending it, the work would have been permitted. [K 464]...
On Parables
Many complain that the words of the wise are always merely parables and of no use in daily life, which is the only life we have. When the sage says “Go over,” he does not mean that we should cross...
Give it up!
It was very early in the morning, the streets clean and deserted, I was on my way to the station. As I compared the tower clock with my watch I realized it was much later than I had thought and...
Leopards in the Temple
Leopards break into the temple and drink to the dregs what is in the sacrificial pitchers; this is repeated over and over again; finally it can be calculated in advance, and it becomes a part of the ceremony. [Kafka 472]...
Alexander the Great
It is conceivable that Alexander the Great, in spite of the martial success of his early days, in spite of the excellent army that he had trained, in spite of the power he felt within him to change the world,...
The Green Dragon
The door opened and what entered the room, fat and succulent, its sides voluptuously swelling, footless, pushing itself along on its entire underside, was the green dragon. Formal salutation. I asked him to come right in. He regretted that he...
The Tiger
Once a tiger was bought to the celebrated animal tamer Burson, for him to give his opinion as to the possibility of taming the animal. The small cage with the tiger in it was pushed into the training cage, which...
Couriers
They were offered the choice between becoming kings or the couriers of kings. The way children would, they all wanted to be couriers. Therefore there are only couriers who hurry about the world, shouting to each other—since there are no...
The most insatiable people
The most insatiable people are certain ascetics, who go on hunger-strike in all spheres of life, think that in this way they will simultaneously achieve the following: 1) a voice will say: Enough, you have fasted enough, now you may...
My Destination
I gave orders for my horse to be brought round from the stable. The servant did not understand me. I myself went to the stable, saddled my horse and mounted. In the distance I heard a bugle call, I asked...
(TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/1170 )