The Tower of Babel

If it had been possible to build the Tower of Babel without ascending it, the work would have been permitted.

[Kafka 464]

Related Fragments:
On The Tower of Babel
Divine prevention of Language connecting to Meaning. This is the ideal symbol for my purposes - a tower that never was postulated as a tower that was destroyed, a tower that is the symbol for language, a doubly-negated phallologocentrism... And...
the impossibility of finishing
The "tower of Babel" does not merely figure the irreducible multiplicity of tongues; it exhibits an incompletion, the impossibility of finishing, of totalizing, of saturating, of completing something on the order of edification, architectural construct...
On The Tower of Babel
An Early Draft
Kafka and Benjamin Presentation: Dieter Bohn Good Afternoon, everyone. Since my paper today will treat Kafka's parables, I think it is fitting that I begin with a couple as epigraphs: What are you building?-I want to dig a subterranean passage....
Exposé one: Critical Failure
The Failure of Narrativity: Benjamin's Kafka Exposé one: Critical Failure. What are you building?-I want to dig a subterranean passage. Some progress must be made. My station up there is much too high. We are digging the pit of Babel....
(TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/1185 )