Give it up!

It was very early in the morning, the streets clean and deserted, I was on my way to the station. As I compared the tower clock with my watch I realized it was much later than I had thought and that I had to hurry; the shock of this discovery made me feel uncertain of the way, I wasn't very well acquainted with the town as yet; fortunately, there was a policeman at hand, I ran to him and breathlessly asked him the way. He smiled and said: "You asking me the way?" "Yes," I said, "since I can't find it myself." "Give it up! Give it up!" said he, and turned with a sudden jerk, like someone who wants to be alone with his laughter.

[Kafka 456]

Related Fragments:
An Early Draft
Kafka and Benjamin Presentation: Dieter Bohn Good Afternoon, everyone. Since my paper today will treat Kafka's parables, I think it is fitting that I begin with a couple as epigraphs: What are you building?-I want to dig a subterranean passage....
Gave it up!
What if we take the policeman at his word? D@aS: Give it up! Differance: Give it up! N@aS: Give it up! Interpretation: Give it up! Meaning: Give it up! Just because nihilism is passe doesn't mean it is less consistent...
Exposé one: Critical Failure
The Failure of Narrativity: Benjamin's Kafka Exposé one: Critical Failure. What are you building?-I want to dig a subterranean passage. Some progress must be made. My station up there is much too high. We are digging the pit of Babel....
(TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cgi-bin/mt-tb.cgi/1214 )