« Week 4 | Main

Week 5

If I had my way, portfolios would be THE primary source of assessment for students across the country. Really, if you think of it, the influx of technology should make this easier. I have a writing portfolio from when I was in elementary school that followed me from Rochester to Mankato when I moved... why can't there be a national database for all students to have a portfolio they can access no matter what school they are at or where they may move to?
In the article about portfolios it was interesting to see the narrow ways the three types of portfolios were defined. While there were very distinct difference between the three, I agree with Wolf and Siu-Runyan that all three will overlap at some point. Ownership portfolios are great in concept, but will rarely exist on their own - without feedback or accountability portfolio elements. Most students will not just put together a portfolio on their own, and as soon as a teacher starts structuring the portfolio elements from the other two start to come into play.
Overall, the feedback portfolio is an incredi ble idea. Add to it online accessibility and parent/teacher/student involvement and interaction becomes very exciting. Imagine an online portfolio where student work is kept, and area where teacher progress notes/observations/journaling are kept, and another area where parents can post about literacy in the student's home life or ask questions, etc. This is my plan for my eventual classroom... I need to pick up some tech-savvyness....anyone who can help? In order to receive my undergrad degree in Speech Comm we had to put together a digital portfolio with artifacts, reflections, peer feedback, etc. Overall, it was one of the best things I could have been required to do to finish college...

http://eduscapes.com/tap/topic82.htm
GREAT RESOURCE for learning more about electronic portfolios. Lots of great links that include information on why they are a good tool for assessment, successes and failures in use, templates for creating electronic portfolios, etc.