Food for Thought: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics

Not that I really care about the gas price since there is nothing I can do about it, but here are some fun stats. And no, these aren't directed at Republicans or Democrats, these are administration independant.

The Department of Energy estimates that each $1 billion of trade deficit costs America 27,000 jobs. For comparison, trade deficit for Q1 2005 was $195.1 billion. So that only cost us 5,265,000 potential jobs in theory.

According to the National Defense Council Foundation, the economic penalties of America's oil dependence total $297.2 to $304.9 billion annually. If reflected at the gasoline pump, these “hidden costs” would raise the price of a gallon of gasoline to over $5.28. (iags.org)

Securing fuel in the middle east and elsewhere cost us more than $7 trillion present value dollars over the last 30 years. That is more than the cost of every war from the revolutionary war to the present. (Dept of Energy)

On the flip side, every SUV we don't buy puts GM and Ford deeper into debt and costs jobs as well. Plus every gallon of gas we don't buy hurts US oil companies. Finally, without the need to secure oil overseas, Woneywell wouldn't neeed to make some of its products, which would destroy jobs in MN.

Posted by bond0072 at 2:39 PM

Humor: Steve the Intern

Steve is a college student at a Big 10 university. This is the start of a continuing story of Steve's travels through the mazes of corporate-land and the lessons he learns. Borrowing a page from Penny Arcade, Steve works at a fictional company called “Woneywell”.

Today's chapter: "The End"
Steve was plugging away at Excels when he received a call from one of his managers. As it turns out, he was calling to let Steve know that he had been laid off. Although the company in fact viewed Steve as a very good employee, the new management decided that to make Woneywell more efficient and build rigid org silos in place of the functional management groups, they need to reduce the headcount. Steve thought that it was awfully nice of the manager to call him, as the manager was waiting in the airport for his plane to take him to a corporate seminar in Florida.

Surprisingly un-phased by this news, much less the fact that $1,500 in summer wages had been lost, Steve went about his day as usual and casually informed co-workers about the news. One of Steve’s managers gave out some wisdom.

“Well, you could try to get some work with our man-power unit” she suggested.

*chuckles to self about a man unit* “What’s that?” he asked.

“They hire on ‘temp’ staff. You could work here as a janitor or as a packer.”

*ouch* “Naw”, he replied jokingly, “I guess I could always try to go back to my old job at the university”

“Oh I bet they pay more at the university don’t they” she responded.

……… *smacks head*

Steve had just spent the whole weekend at a LAN party, which he left early the day before to make sure that he would be rested and ready for work the next day.

Lesson of the Day: just like Bros before Hos, always put Dorks before Corps.

Posted by bond0072 at 1:35 PM

I can't belive I'm doing this....

Look. I know I said I didn't like blogs. But honestly, I need an outlet for
1) Photographs: no one knows when/if I update Shutterpoint. Plus we all know I'm terrible at getting new pics out to people.
2) Stupid things like work (not that anything of note has ever happened with this subject).
3) The typical blog entries about things we all see that aren't terribly interesting, but we all feel compelled to discuss and analyze.

Taking a page out of KOTOR, I'm going to try to start each post with some sort of flag so that a reader can tell how to interpret the day's ramblings.

*sigh* Like so many bar hookups, this blog will probably come and go. I'll try to update more frequently than my failed "Collin's Cavorting" site.

Posted by bond0072 at 11:45 AM