Assignment 7

Idea Selection and Pitch

Pugh Chart
pugh-01.jpg

From the PUGH Chart I chose to use the heated chair lifts seats as my final idea.

Brainstorming Names

When brainstorming names, I like to write down words that describe the product I am trying to name. When I have a good amount of initial naming ideas I look up synonyms to those words and combine different words to create names.

Obviously, certain combinations will not work well together. This is mainly seen in the synonyms for chair and seat.

Synonyms:

Heat -- fever, hot weather, warmth, fieriness, hotness, warmness, thermal
Chair -- armchair, bench, recliner, rocker, sling
Seats -- bench, chair, couch, lounge
Chair Lift -- J-bar, T-bar, lift, poma, rope tow, ski lift
Warm -- balmy, heated, hot, lukewarm, mild, pleasant, sunny, sweltering, temperate
Ski -- no synonyms

Thermal Lift stood out to me because it describes the product while being professional.

chairliftfinal-01.jpg

Video Elevator Pitch

ElevatorSpeech.m4v

Note: Although not included in this video, I will have a poster of Thermal Lift in my presentation on Tuesday.

Assignment 6

MARKETABLE
For this assignment, I polled people about my ten original ideas and narrowed it down to five ideas with a few modifications in each design.

These are my five ideas:

This idea is about modifying chair lift seats that have an electric seat heater in them that activates when a person sits down and deactivates when a person stands up. The people that I polled said that they'd pay around $2-4 extra if a lift ticket started at $26.

The second idea is a GPS tracking device that has watch capabilities and you wear it on your wrist. I received mixed feedback on this one. Many people said they'd rent it for around $10-15 each, but probably not buy it. It was discussed that perhaps it could be used elsewhere, not only on the ski hill, but also at crowded places like Disney World for families.

The third idea is a sensor which has a earbud or headphone jack that beeps faster as things are approaching, like another skier. This idea is meant to help people avoid collisions. People were also discussing modification for this idea. For example, adding a distress signal button if something does happen. The button automatically calls emergency personnel. Renting for around $5, but people said they'd buy it for around $15-25.

The fourth idea is for ski brakes that are GPS controlled. If a skier is going fast and out of control, the brakes will gradually slow you down. It provides parents a way to control their kids on the bigger hills. People said they'd rent it for an additional $4-15 of regular ski rental.

The last idea is the heated clothing set that has a switch that allows you to choose what part needs warming the most. Most people agreed that this would be the most expensive item. For the whole set, people said that it'd be $200-400.

NOVEL
Part A
2x2s of ideas
Idea 1:
ElectricSeats-01.jpg
Idea 2:
GPSWATCH-01.jpg
Idea 3:
RADAR-01.jpg
Idea 4:
SKIBRAKES-01.jpg
Idea 5:
HEATEDCLOTHING-01.jpg

Part B
Patent Search
Idea 1:
Method for heating the seat and/or back rest upholstery of a chair pertaining to a chair lift installation, and corresponding chair
Patent #:EP1601564 B2
Abstract
The invention relates to a method for heating the seat and/or back rest upholstery (4, 5) of a chair (3) pertaining to a chair lift installation, said method being characterised in that the seat and/or back rest upholstery is heated while the chair is in the chair lift station, by means of an electric heating device (7) integrated into the seat and/or back rest upholstery. The invention also relates to a corresponding chair (3) comprising an electrically operated heating device (7).

Idea 2:
Watch provided with global positioning system (GPS)
Patent #: CN103123457 A
Abstract
The invention provides a watch provided with a GPS. A display screen capable of displaying time and the GPS respectively is arranged on a watch body. A time display and adjusting button and a GPS display and operation button are arranged on two sides of the watch body respectively. A display brightness adjusting button is further arranged on one side of the watch body. During utilization, time and positioning can be mastered by operation and adjustment of various buttons, and the watch is particularly applicable to outdoor operation.

Idea 3:
Method enabling skier to determine skiing speed by employing Doppler principle
Patent #: DE19820186 A1
Abstract
A transmitter is fitted to a ski boot to send out electromagnetic waves. Radiation is reflected by the snow and picked-up by a receiver on the ski boot. Speed is displayed after being calculated by a Doppler principle electronic device using the frequency shift between rays sent out and rays bounced back. The transmitter-receiver device is fitted at a constant angle on the ski boot

Idea 4:
Ski brake
Patent #:WO2009100385 A1
Abstract
A ski brake is attached to a ski to provide a controllable drag to the advance of a ski on a snow surface. A cable extending from a ski-pole mounted grip to the brake allows a skier to adjust the amount of drag. The position of the ski brake and thus the amount of drag can be controlled wirelessly as well.

Idea 5:
Intelligent electronic heating clothing
Patent #:CN201782002 U
Abstract
The utility model relates to intelligent electronic heating clothing, which comprises a polyester heating film and a battery box and is characterized in that polyester heating films are arranged on the cloth inner layers of various common clothes, and the polyester heating films are connected with the battery box through lines. The utility model for supplying heat to a human body through heating by the polyester heating films not only has simple structure and is soft and comfortable but also is easy to fold and store and has lower production cost, is suitable for numerous people, can be used when the clothes are manufactured, has wide market prospect and is easy to widely popularize.

FEASIBLE
Idea 1:
Biggest Concern/Unknown: How the heating coil/element will get down to the seat to make it warm.

Estimate: Most chair lift seats are made out of aluminum which is $9 per kilogram. So say the chair lift is 100lbs. The cost of the chair lift chair would be $450. Heated seats that you can add to your car cost any where from $100-200. So my estimation is $550.

Idea 2:
Biggest Concern/Unknown: Service out in nature. To my knowledge, GPS mainly works well in cities.

Estimate: A lot of GPS technology is selling on the consumer base at around $100 or so. I couldn't find what it is manufactured for. The band could be made out of nylon or other cloth materials. Nylon per kilogram is around $3-5. So maybe if GPS technology manufactured is $20-50. It would be $25-55.

Idea 3:
Biggest Concern/Unknown: How to tell the difference between what is too close to the person. Distance.

Estimate: I think this is a lot like the GPS. Couldn't find radar technology pricing either, but sonar equipment sells for around $100-1000. Ear buds are around $10-infinity depending on the quality. So the cheapest this product would be to make would be under $20.

Idea 4:
Biggest Concern/Unknown: How to slow down gradually without tipping the skier over by sudden change.

Estimate: Aluminum is about $10 per kilogram so I would estimate just the brake part around or under $10

Idea 5:
Biggest Concern/Unknown: How the electrical clothing set would fit together and not cause an electrical problem.

Estimate: A coil of Teflon wire is about $12. Clothing could be made cheaply. Take a hat. A hat would US $0.32-0.45 per piece. My estimate is that the whole set could be easily made under $30.

Assignment 5

For this assignment I used the ideation tool SCAMPER to generate more ideas. The idea I used was: the GPS watch from a previous assignment.

PART 1

SCAMPER

1. Substitute

• If the GPS screen wasn't there it could be replaced by a hologram

• Solar powered GPS

• Band is rough so change it to a material that does not bother skin. I.e. cloth band around mittens or gloves.

• Change of shape-- Have it modeled to look like a mountain

• Let it voice activated instead of manual operation

Best idea drawn:
solar1.jpg

2. Combine

• GPS with other capabilities

• GPS and radar watch

• Watch made out of one material

• Automatically contacts authorities-- distress signal

Best idea drawn:
distress1.jpg

3. Adapt

• Use regular GPS capabilities and project them like a hologram

• Use nano(iPod) technology for size

• Use GPS capabilities for field research teams

• Underwater scuba diving GPS watch

Best idea drawn:
holo.jpg

4. Magnify/ Minimize

• Get rid of wrist function and implement into goggles

• Voice telling how close or far you are away from others

• Everyone in the world wears the watch and no one can get lost

• Implement into mittens, skis, or snowboards, something that everyone would have on them.

• Make into necklace and have it vibrate when you are close to civilazation

Best idea drawn:
necklace1.jpg

5. Put to Other Use

• Use for research expeditions

• Family use at Disney World or other crowded areas

• Modified as a location device. Pill Form. Stays in body.

Best idea drawn:
disney1.jpg

6. Eliminate

• No watch capabilities just GPS function

• No GPS function just radar

• Radar/GPS on one wrist and phone capabilities on the other

• Get rid of band and implement it into the coat

Best idea drawn:
twopiece1.jpg

7. Reverse/ Rearrange

• One bracelet that allows user to see 360 degree view of mountain and location

• Beeps louder and faster the farther you get from the group

• Tells you how far you are from the ski lodge or "home base"

• Tells you when you have left the area that snow patrol can get you

• Updates for weather and avalanches

Best idea drawn:
360.jpg

PART 2

For my table based tool, I used Morphological Analysis on the same product as part 1: the GPS watch

Here is the table I came up with:
grida.jpg

And here are two more ideas that I generated when using the table.

grid1a.jpg

grid2a.jpg

PART 3
When I reviewed my highly rated blue sky ideation ideas there weren't any that were silly so I don't have any revisions.

PART 4
Here are ten ideas that I think could be actual products:
5 Chair Lift Improvement Ideas
Chair1.jpg
Chair 2.jpg
Chair 3.jpg
Chair 4.jpg
Chair 5.jpg
5 Communication on Ski Hill Improvement Ideas
Com1.jpg
Com 2.jpg
Com3.jpg
Com4.jpg
Com5.jpg

Assignment 4

Problem Statements - How might we...

Andrei, an experienced skier, needs to find a better way to communicate on the hill because conditions change quickly.

How might we find a better way to communicate on the ski hill?

Renee, a casual skier, needs to find a way to stay warm on the chair lefts because the ride island and out in the open.

How might we find a way to stay warm on the open-air chair lifts?

Brainstorming Session

4 people + myself

My new brainstorming idea is to get comfortable and relaxed. Wear comfy clothes and have a hot beverage(i.e tea, coffee, or hot chocolate) and play a fun creative game. Apples to apples is a good game to play because it makes you make connections you haven't thought of before.

Therefore we began by playing apples to apples as a warm up.

Participants: Kirk, Maria, Elise, Melissa, Stacey

Idea Generation

Hill Communication
IPM =.38

Chair Lifts
IPM =.4

When sorting the drawings into categories, my group of people did not understand how to do the silent sort no matter how many times I explained it. Talking when sorting worked well and was a lot quicker than expected.

Hill Communication

• Safety-communicating concerns

• Group Communication

• Person to Person Communication

• Non-verbal Communication

• Trouble Avoidance

Chair Lifts

• Fire-based

• Electrically Heated

• Natural Heat

• Chair Modifications

5 Best Hill Communication Ideas
Com1.jpg

Com 2.jpg

Com3.jpg
A GPS watch that allows you locate other people or group members on the ski hill who are also wearing the watch.

Com4.jpg

Com5.jpg

5 Best Chair Lift Ideas

Chair1.jpg

Chair 2.jpg

Chair 3.jpg

The last two ideas go together:
Chair 4.jpg

Chair 5.jpg
This is a charger for the battery used in the fourth image implemented into the arm of the chair lift

Assignment 3

ASK:
Questions: to start with and if you get stuck:
-Have you ever skied before?
-What experience do you have with skiing?
-When and if you ski how do you feel about it?
-Have you ever thought about skiing?
-What is anything is holding you back?

Interviews:
Renee, a casual skier

Yes she has skied before. She started in junior high in her P.E class. This also continued in high school. She took a down hill ski course in college for credit with friends. She also goes on ski vacations in Colorado and Canada.

Skiing is a great way to enjoy the winter season. It's fun and good exercise. It's a good way to enjoy nature and challenge yourself.

Renee had a bad experience. She get annoyed by other skiers, i.e 12 year old boys, who ski straight down the hill, out of control. They disregard the rules of the hills.

She has never gotten in an accident, but she has fallen down, crossed her skis, etc, but not seriously injured.

Something that bothers her when skiing is how cold the ski lifts are.

Renee, a casual skier, needs to find a way to stay warm because the chair lifts are cold and the ride is long.

---

Andrei, expert skier (i.e. skis black diamond slopes and off trail skiing)

Yes he has skied before, he learned how to ski when he was 5 or 6 years old. So he has been skiing for about 16 years.

Andrei likes the rush of skiing. For example, he likes when he is just starting on a hill and it feels like he is in a free fall before the first turn.

He doesn't ski locally because it's just depressing. He mainly skis on the west coast and the rockies.

He's tumbled down the mountain lots of times and has to walk up to collect his things. He's been injured when he has put his hands out to catch himself.

Then there was the avalanche incident. He was skiing off trail and he was almost hit by an avalanche because there were forced avalanches that, but he didn't know that. So Andrei wishes that there was more communication about the hill conditions.

It bugs him that his hands get cold easily.

Andrei, an experienced skier needs to find a way to have better communication on the hill because of previous experiences (avalanche incident).

--

Sally, not a skier and has only skied cross country once.

Sally has only skied cross country once and she has never downhill skied. She doesn't want to ski down hill because she is not sure if she would do well and get into accidents. Mostly she feels that she will run into trees, people, and ski off a cliff.

Also, having not the proper snow gear, money, and transportation are holding her back.

For cross country skiing. It was pretty straight forward, she fell once, but other than that it went well.

Sally is a skier who has only skied cross country needs a way to down hill ski without running into other people and getting into other accidents.
--

There is no way for me to observe/ experience yet. Sooo... Research!

RESEARCH:

Total Number of Snow Sports Participants
Season
2012/2013
Alpine: 8,243,000
Cross Country: 3,307,000
2011/2012
Alpine: 10,201,000
Cross Country: 4,318,000
2010/2011
Alpine: 11,504,000
Cross Country: 4,530,000
2009/2010
Alpine: 10,919,000
Cross Country: 4,157,000

Gender of Skiers and Snowboarders - 2012/13 Season
Gender Alpine Cross Country
Male 60% 60%
Female 40% 40%

Age of Skiers and Snowboarders - 2012/13 Season
Age
6-12 Alpine 12.8% Cross Country 11.5%

13-17 Alpine 11.3% Cross Country 5.7%

18-24 Alpine 15.1% Cross Country 15.4%

25-34 Alpine 21.7% Cross Country 25.6%

35-44 Alpine 20.4% Cross Country 16.5%

45-54 Alpine 14.3% Cross Country 13.4%

55-64 Alpine 4.1% Cross Country 6.6%

65+ Alpine 2.3% Cross Country 5.3%

Assignment 2

Assignment 2

To start the assignment off, I first started listening to a little crazy music to help me become energized. I've attached links to the videos on youtube if you are interested. It's k-pop/ korean pop music FYI

Crayon by G-Dragon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=t3ULhmadHkg
One of a Kind by G-Dragon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJnICByeL8Q
Fantastic Baby by BIGBANG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAbokV76tkU&feature=relmfu
Monster by BIGBANG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btDd9rOlc2k\

I have found that listening to k-pop, though I don't know what they are saying, really energizes me.

Next, to become more creative I watched part of Daniel Tosh: Completely Serious.

Mind Mapping:
This is what my mind map of winter looks like:
mindmap.jpg

Next, the three categories that I am interested in exploring are:
1. Hot food
2. Skiing
Slippery Ice

Ideation: Silly Ideas

Snow shoes with dinosaur tracks on the bottom
1 copy.jpg

Umbrella that is heated and lit inside.
2 copy.jpg

Skis that have holes in them to hold ski poles.
3 copy.jpg

Skis that have chalk on the bottom to make colorful tracks.
4 copy.jpg

Boots that have retractable spikes like automatic brakes on a car.
5 copy.jpg

LCD winter coat that glows like the northern lights when dark.
6 copy.jpg

Snowboard that glows when dark (LCD).
7 copy.jpg

Hat with speaker in puff.
8 copy.jpg

Coat that can hold hot chocolate.
9 copy.jpg

Coat that could fold out into a blanket.
10 copy.jpg

Assignment 1

Almond Cherry Cookie with Dark Chocolate Glaze and Sea Salt

Through this assignment I learned that I am definitely more of an adapter rather than a innovator. I used a systematic approach to making my cookies that will be explained below.

Part 1: Ideation
My initial ideas were to do either a shortbread cookie or a normal cookie, but the initial recipes I found for shortbread did not lend themselves to adding some ingredients very well.
Flavor Ideas:
Pomegranate seeds and Chocolate chips
Pomegranate juice and Cherries
Acai/ Blueberries with Sea Salt
Almond flavored cookie dough with Almonds and Cherries and Sea Salt on top
Cherry bits and Coca Cola -- "Cherry Coke" cookie
Fresca cookie
Tomato Basil Cookie with a Mozzarella glaze
Part 2: Finding Recipes
I choose two different dough recipes I decided on these two to use as the cookie dough base recipe. Shown below:

Recipe 1:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, and salt until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in the egg. Add the flour and beat on the lowest speed until just blended. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the dried cherries and almonds.

Transfer the dough to a sheet of plastic wrap and shape it into a log, about 12-inches long and 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Arrange an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 heavy baking sheets with parchment paper.

Cut the log crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices. Transfer the dough slices to the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 1-inch apart. Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges and puffed, about 15 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before icing, about 30 minutes.

Recipe 2:

1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

In large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add egg and almond extract; beat on medium speed until smooth. On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder and salt until dough forms. Stir in cherries and chopped almonds.

Wrap dough in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Heat oven to 375°F. Cut dough into 1/8- to 1/4-inch slices. On ungreased cookie sheets, place slices 2 inches apart.

Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until edges start to turn golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.

Part 3: Choosing Variables
Although I was using almonds and cherries I decided to experiment with cherries or cherry flavored things. In all the cookies I used roasted slivered almonds.

Variable 1: Sun-Maiden Tart Dried Cherries
Variable 2: Gurley's Sweet Cherry Chips**
Variable 3: Ocean Spray Craisens: Cherry flavor
DSC00905.JPG

**Note: the cherry chips were not tasty at all when I taste tested the variable before baking, but I thought maybe when they were cooked in the cookie it would be better.

Part 4: Baking

The cookies turned out well with the exception of the cherry chip ones where the flavor was not improved. Still I held out throwing them till the I tried to improve them with the chocolate glaze.

The other two cookies turned out really great! The cookie batches that had the tart cherries in them are the best.

DSC00912.JPG
Part 5: Glazes
I used two different dark chocolate glazes on the cookies. Shown below:

Glaze 1:
2 ozs Bittersweet chocolate
2 ozs Semi-sweet chocolate
3 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of milk
1 tablespoon of honey
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla

Melt the 4 oz of chocolate and 3 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, then stir in milk, honey and vanilla. Cool slightly before spreading over cookies.

Glaze 2:
2 oz. Bittersweet chocolate
2 1/2 oz. Unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup of heavy cream
3/4 and 2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoon of unsalted butter
3/4 teaspoon of vanilla

Chop the chocolates and place in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, combine the heavy cream with the sugar and cook over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Pour the warm cream over the chocolate and let stand until melted, about five minutes. If it is still chunky at this point don't be afraid to microwave it for a minute or so. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in butter, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Let the glaze cool slightly before spreading over cookies.

Glaze 2 came out the best...according to my family who taste tested everything with me.

Part 6: Final Outcome

Even after the cherry chip ones were glazed and salted, they still were not tasty. So it was a failure, but the other two recipes turned out well. I decided the recipe that used the tart cherries was the best.

So my final cookie recipe is this:

1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped tart cherries
1/2 cup of slivered almonds

Sprinkle almonds in ungreased heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until nuts begin to brown, then stirring constantly until nuts are light brown. Cool 10 minutes.

Wrap in dough plastic wrap or waxed paper. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Glaze:

2 oz. Bittersweet chocolate
2 1/2 oz. Unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup of heavy cream
3/4 and 2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoon of unsalted butter
3/4 teaspoon of vanilla

Sprinkle cookies with sea salt.

DSC00917.JPG

What makes my cookie creative?
I think my cookie is creative because it is novel, I have never eaten a cookie or seen a cookie like my own before. It is feasible because it is edible and people want to eat them. This is seen by my family trying to taste test as I am in the middle of baking. Also it is a cookie so it has value.

This is a test.

Just testing to see how this works.

Recent Comments

• raft0011: Hello! Excellent blog layout, everything is clear, concise, and informative read more
  • ramas043: Hi Elise, Your pitch was very interesting and well articulated. read more
  • rezek010: Hello Elise! Very neat and concise blog post. Good job read more
  • rhode125: You had plenty of important information through this blog post, read more
  • rusch107: Hello, When I read the first paragraph under Marketable, I read more
  • simpk024: Hi Elise, I too am a little confused about your read more
  • tebej001: very wide exploration of navigational features, does this fit into read more
  • schw1562: Hi, I was a bit confused reading your post. What read more
  • Josh Thorson: Hey Elise! Looks like you had a great brainstorming session! read more
  • wall0752: You have everything very clearly laid out and easy to read more

Recent Assets

• chairliftfinal-01.jpg
  • pugh-01.jpg
  • pughchart-01.jpg
  • RADAR-01.jpg
  • SKIBRAKES-01.jpg
  • HEATEDCLOTHING-01.jpg
  • GPSWATCH-01.jpg
  • ElectricSeats-01.jpg
  • grid2a.jpg
  • grid1a.jpg