Main | a little bit each day »

the first entry

I went through phrase a day with KlikkNorsk. I found that I often got ahead of myself and continued on after the present week and into the next. I liked that the phrases were grouped together under generic topics. Perhaps it would be best to do the phrase one day at a time, we’ll see tomorrow how much I actually remember...

The most important thing is to be honest with myself. I haven’t had time to do much Norwegian since the beginning of the school year. Realizing this caused me to rethink my priorities. What do I have time for, what do I not? What are my reasons again for wanting to learn a language that is only being preserved by the people of Norway, most of which speak at least one other language?
Currently I am trying to maintain my priorities. Learning Norwegian is among them, and I must remember how important it is to me. I’m doing this not only for my own pleasure, but also to preserve a part of my heritage that is disappearing. My grandfather is really the only connection I have to the feeling of being Norwegian, even though he himself is American. He has told me stories about his Norwegian granparents and the odd language he picked up bits and pieces of over the years from when it was spoken at home. I have been told that his mother encouraged her children to speak English and only spoke Norwegian to the elders. There was also a sort of mix between Norwegian and English that he remembers and I’d be interested in finding out more about. How many Norwegian speakers are there in Minnesota? And where are they? What parts of MN have preserved their Norwegian influences? The Lindstrom Tea Kettle Water Tower that reads “Velkommen? sticks in my mind among them. I think in order to facilitate my learning Norwegian I’d like to also focus in on the very history of Norway itself, and more specifically Norwegian Americans. I saw a book at Barns and Nobel lastweek titled “Norwegians on the Prairie? or something like that. It was a little pricey but perhaps I could find a cheaper copy online.
I would like to do a little everyday. I would have liked to established a routine by now, but seeing that a single routine doesn’t exactly fit in to my fluctuating schedule I might as well go with the flow… and continue to flow. One night of laziness seems to plug up a whole lot of learning. I don’t want to get behind on my studies, but I don’t want to forget about Norwegian either.

9/14/05

This morning I found that I had a site in my bookmarks På vei Interaktive Oppgaver. http://www.pavei.cappelen.no/ I’m not sure when I ever found this site or put it on my bookmarks. Did Louis refer me to it? Or had I found it at one point on my own?
I went through Kapittel 1, 14 mini lessons that didn’t take very long but kept me interested. I liked “Setninger,? having to arrange the Norwegian words in proper order, it helped me think more about sentence formation, rather than just reading sentences and copying a certain form over and over, it gave mixed up words which I had to put in order. I also liked “Hva hører du?? the listening component. I didn’t have much difficulty with the lessons, but liked that everything was in Norwegian because it forced me to look up verbs I didn’t know when I would have to fill in the blank for vokabular. There was always the option to have the correct answer shown to me, I didn’t find any explanations for grammar.