Assignment 1

The Taco Cookie

When first given this assignment I didn't have the slightest idea of what kind of cookie I could create that would be interesting and creative. With so many types cookies that already exist it was difficult to think of something that has not already been done. My mind kept gravitating towards a cookie that tasted like a main course meal like pizza or pasta and eventually my mind wandered to tacos (one of my favorite foods) and once I fiddled with the thought of making a taco cookie it was hard to shake. My favorite food and something as delicious as cookies all in one sounded like a great idea to me. I went to google first to see if it existed in the way that I envisioned it and turns out it didn't. This was great because it proved that it was a new variation on the classic cookie and also a chance for me to really experiment with my own recipe instead of basing it off another. Now it was time to figure out how to construct this taco cookie.

The first question I asked myself was what ingredients could I use to make it taste like a taco. I wanted some sort of tortilla taste for the base of the cookie, but the rest was more of an issue of what would hold and still taste good by the time it made it to class. I also planned to add ground beef, cheese, and lettuce for the toppings to accommodate a typical taco recipe. For my first trial run I made the base of the cookie following an easy sugar cookie recipe that I found on allrecipes.com. This recipe (alternated to make 12 servings) consisted of

2/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract.

I didn't want the cookie to be sweet so I eliminated the sugar, I didn't have vanilla extract so I didn't use that, and I only bought baking soda because I didn't want to invest in baking powder as well. The cookie was very bland as expected but kind of the point because tacos aren't supposed to be sweet. I added the beef, cheese, and lettuce on top but the final taste was nothing spectacular.

For the next test I got a box of corn mix to use as the base of the cookie instead. The reason I did this was because I wouldn't have to worry about the missing baking powder and vanilla extract. Also there would be a little more taste to the cookie because I was using a corn mix. I wanted to try and imitate a corn tortilla. The corn mix box only called for the mix and water but I wanted to make it more of a cookie batter so I added 1 egg and just a tad of butter. Then I decided I wanted some sort of frosting like an average cookie so I decided I would include refried beans as a sort of frosting for the cookie. I also decided to eliminate the use of ground beef because I was worried that the meat would not hold until class. I kept the cheese and lettuce to put on top. The new recipe consisted of

For base
One box of corn muffin mix
1/2 cup water
butter
1 egg

Topping
1 can refried beans
2 cups lettuce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

View image

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2.Mix corn muffin mix, water, butter, and egg in a bowl
3.Grease small brownie pan and pour thin layer of batter
4.Cook for 10-15 minutes
5.Take out cookies and let them cool
6.While cookies are cooling, cook refried beans in pot on the stove for 15 minutes
7.When cookies are cool "ice" cookies with refried beans, place shredded lettuce on top, followed by cheese.
8.Serve

After I mixed together the corn muffin mix I had a horrible realization. I forgot that after you mix all the ingredients together the batter would be more soup like instead of doughy which led to some change in the baking process. Instead of scooping the dough into spoonfuls on a cookie sheet I had to pour the batter into a small brownie pan and make more of a cookie bar type of recipe.
One ingredient that I forget to buy at the store was taco seasoning. I feel like it would've been a good addition to the cookie to make it taste more like a taco. I'm not sure if making a cookie that tastes like a main course is the right way to go. It's interesting and different in my opinion but it takes away the delight of a sweet cookie to enjoy. Perhaps with more development like a base that tastes more like a tortilla and the addition of spicy flavorings might further enhance the taste of a taco. Next time I would not use corn mix because of the consistency and the inevitable corn bread taste but instead make a corn meal base that could taste more like a tortilla. In conclusion I believe this creation is somewhat novel. It was based off a type of food that already exists but put in a form that is not normally consumed as. It's definitely feasible, all the ingredients are easily found and for a reasonable price, and it's valuable because it can be used to stop hunger.

Your cookie idea is really creative! I never thought of moving out of the dessert category and using main meal ingredients. I really like the idea that maybe the cookie could be consumed and be a substantial food instead of being full of sugar.

Your process is very well thought out. I definitely think if you make these cookies again you should corn meal instead of corn mix. Also adding the taco seasoning would be interesting.

I just looked up a recipe to make homemade corn tortillas and they used an special corn flour called masa harina. Maybe using this would help give your cookies a more tortilla taste.

I also had the idea to make a taco cookie at first. I think you did a pretty good job documenting the process play-by-play, but I didn't see any pictures. It would definitely be interesting to see the final result and get some input as to what other people thought (if you had people taste test for you). I'm not sure if you did this at all but it could have been cool to see you mold the cookie so it aesthetically resembled a cookie, not just with taste. Another idea could have been to make a cookie that looked like a taco but tasted sweet (i.e. dried cranberry as "tomato", chocolate chips as "taco meat", ground pistachios as "lettuce", frosting glaze as "sour cream"). Overall nice job, I look forward to seeing your cookie in class.

In your description, it sounds like you decided what you wanted to make really early on; did you come up with many ideas after it? I think taco cookies are pretty interesting, but I’m curious if you had better ideas (or could have had) but were too attached to this one, or if it was really the best? Always try to remember not to get too attached to an initial idea, it happens to everyone, but usually isn’t the best direction to go.

Anyway, I like how you took the time to consider how to make it both very much like a cookie, as well as distinctly trying to hit the flavor of a taco, such as icing them with refried beans. While I understand your choice not to include meat, I think it undermines the taco-ness of your final result.

I wish you had more pictures, and that the one you do have was displayed, rather than just a link; you should play with how to format it for the future!