assignment 7 -- pending

currently working on the blog post! It will be up soon!
TOPIC: Seasonal Affective Disorder - Singin' the Winter Blues

How might we statement:
1. How might we use light to help with the winter blues?

Top 5 Ideas:
1. Hand-Held Lamp
2. Light Hat
3. Foldable Light
4. Modular Light
5. Seasonal Colors Lamp

Pugh Chart:
I chose to use the foldable lamp as a benchmark product because there seemed to be the most on the market for this particular item and that I could compare it to the others that might not have as many products.

pdes_pughchart.jpg

Final Product:
I decided to name the light hat.. the lumi-hat combining the word luminescent and hat together. I felt that it would invoke the idea of a luminescent hat that would provide a portable method of getting some vitamin D!

productdesign_image.jpg

video pitch:
Lumi-Hat.mov

assignment 6 -- edited

[edit] I decided to take to take a second look at the survey and match the comments from the survey with a product from my top 10 that could solve it.

MARKETABLE
To start the assignment, I tried to find some forums that were specific for seasonal affective disorder. After some research, I registered and found 2 different forums that I could post on to get some feed back.
--Daily Strength Forum
--Mental Health Forum
After, I developed a survey asking questions about their light therapy lamps, how much they paid, how much they're willing to pay for my ideas and also if there were any improvements that they would like to see on the light therapy lamps.

Many of the responses noted that they paid a lot for their lamps, half said that they splurged and got a lamp they felt would last longer ($90-$150), many said that a good minimum to pay for a light therapy lamp would be about $70-$100 they wanted a product that would last and would require minimal attention (such as replacing light bulbs, charging, etc). It was mentioned that it would be nice to have a light that was a little more portable and when I asked about an activity to it, they seemed interested as long as it didn't take up too much of their focus.

When looking at the comments, I decided to match a product with the surveyors suggestions. This is what lead to my top 5:

HANDHELD LIGHT
portable.png

pdes_handheld.jpg
I thought that a hand-held lamp would be perfect for the person that suggested that they would use it on the airplane. The portable lamp would be able to fit into a bag and the user could hold it up to whatever angle they need it.

LIGHT HAT
further.png

pdes_hat.jpg
It seems that this person would benefit from a light hat, they would be able to wear the hat and then be able to move around while getting their dose of vitamin d.

FOLDABLE LIGHT
base.png

pdes_foldable.jpg
Similar to the design of the ipad smart case, a foldable light would be able to create a stable base (like the smart case base for the ipad).

MODULAR LIGHT
moving.png

pdes_modular.jpg
The idea of the modular light would be that it would come in a pack of 5 and they can be connected together to create a lamp as large as needed or a single one could be used. This would lessen the hassle of setting up a lamp and also allowing the user to create their own lamp with a large/small surface area.

SEASONAL COLOR LAMP
color.png

pdes_sensor.jpg
I thought that it was intersting that this person uses it throughout the year and I thought it could be improved with some seasonal colors. Along with the bright light the colors could also brighten (no pun intended) the mood.

NOVEL
cluster_light.jpg
(click for a closer look!)

When looking for products similar to my top ideas, I found that it was tough to find something for my foldable light idea and a color changing light relating specifically to light therapy for SAD. After looking around I found that the folding lights mostly related to makeup mirrors and desk lights, while the color changing light mostly related to light for children. I also noticed that Phillips is kind of the leading company for SAD therapy lights, I almost found a light to fit each or more of my 5 ideas.

PATENT SEARCH
-FOLDABLE LIGHT
FOLDABLE.png

-LIGHT HAT
hat light.png

-HAND-HELD LAMP
HANDHELD.png

-COLOR CHANGING LAMP
COLOR THERAPY.png

-MODULAR LIGHT
modular light.png

FEASIBLE
Biggest concerns for ideas:
I think my biggest concern for my ideas is figuring out how they might workout. This research has helped me find out what is possible, and also develop my own ideas further to create a better light therapy lamp.

Manufacturing Cost Assessment:
I figured that the average price for each of the clusters above to determine the manufacturing price.

--foldable light
average price:
$10.00

--light hat
$9.00

--hand held light
$11.00

--seasonal colors light
$15.00

--modular light
$12.00

so on average the lamps would cost about $11.00 to produce, meaning that an average lamp would be about $110.00

assignment 5

--How might we use light to help with the winter blues?
I decided to put more focus onto creating new products for light therapy during the winter. First, I used the SCAMPER technique to generate some ideas in a structured way instead of how it was previously done. This helped me think about the light boxes that are used today and what could be changed or improved.

PART ONE: SCAMPER
1. substitute
Can I change its color, roughness, sound or smell?
Light Box that changes colors-- according to season setting (spring colors, summer colors or fall colors) I thought it would be interesting to have a light that is customizable and can emit the amount of light but also in beautiful colors of the users favorite season!
idea001.jpg

2. combine
Can I combine or merge it with other objects?
Light Building Blocks // Light Box Tetris
Light up blocks that can also be changed over and over again, it's an activity and light therapy in one.
idea002.jpg

Light Box + Tanning Reflector= Light Reflector
idea003.jpg

3. adapt
Light Box + Projection = Light Projection
This would be great for larger rooms if more than one person would like to bask in some light therapy.
idea004.jpg

4. magnify/minify
Handheld light boxes
Untitled-1.jpg

5. put to other use
-jaundice for newborn children
-reading light
idea005.jpg

6. eliminate
- simplify to a simple panel instead of a chunky box
idea006.jpg

7. reverse/arrange
break up into separate pieces to arrange
idea007.jpg

PART TWO: MORPHOLOGICAL ANALYSIS
For the second part I developed a morphological analysis and the functional requirements that I came up with were mocking/emitting light, adjustable, and smooth screen.
moprh04.jpg
(click for a closer look!)

1. Light up Blanket
morph01.jpg
2. Foldable Solar Panel Light -- for windows
morph03.jpg
3. Light Up Puzzle
morph02.jpg

PART THREE: 10 IDEAS: I felt that these were the top ten ideas that could actually be realized into a product. I was interested in a light up product that could also be an activity or can be personalized for the end user. It also include my other prompt of how activities could help someone feel better during the winter blues. If it can be something fun and also provide light therapy, it could possibly better alleviate seasonal depression.
-Light up hat
light01.jpg
-Sunny Day Umbrella
light05.jpg
-Light Up Snowflake
idea06.jpg
-Light up Bubble Bath
light03.jpg
-Dawn Simulation Pillow
light02.jpg
-Prism Windows
idear.jpg
-Foldable Light Panel
pdes_drawings.jpg
-Light Building Blocks
idea002.jpg
-Light Box that changes color
idea001.jpg
-Hand Held Light Boxes
Untitled-1.jpg

assignment 4

Questions:
For the brainstorming session, I converted my problems into "How might we" questions:
-- How might we makes products that make you feel better during the winter?
-- How might we use light/sleep to help with the winter blues?

I had a couple participants from the school of architecture in the bachelor of architecture program. It was interesting to see the creative ideas that they came up with, after laughing at our ideas and enhancing each others with new drawings-- the ideas really were flowing for a short 15 minute brainstorming session.
photo 1.JPG

The game that we played was an old favorite of mine called "Honey, if you love me would you please please smile?" My friends and I used to play this all the time, everyone would stand in a circle with one person in the middle. The person in the middle would have to make someone laugh only saying "Honey, if you love me would you please, please smile?" other than that, you are free to do whatever to make them smile-- use a different voice, act out something funny. If you can't make the person laugh, you have to move on to another person until someone smiles.. then they are in the middle. It's a great exercise to get people to loosen up and act silly without being judged.

Brainstorming Session:
After a quick 15 minute brainstorming session, we generated about 24 ideas the ideas per minute were about .2 but we were pressed for time as everyone had classes to get to but I think that there were some interesting ideas that I definitely wouldn't have come up with on my own!
photo 2.JPG

pdes_drawings.jpg
(click for a closer look)

After they were sorted into different categories:
Eyewear, Light up, Reminder, Colors, Drug Related, and Activity.
sorted.jpg
(click image for a closer look)

Best Ideas:
How might we makes products that make you feel better during the winter?
1. Scribble activity to relieve stress
activity01.jpg
2. Dopamine injection system -- (that makes me think of vitamin d supplements)
activity02.jpg
3. Flying Bubble Station:
activity03.jpg
4. Support Group:
activity04.jpg
5. Happy App:
activity05.jpg

1. Light Up Hat:
light01.jpg
2. Pillow that slowly lights up:
light02.jpg
3. Bubble Bath with Happy Light:
light03.jpg
4. Glasses with Rims that shines full spectrum:
light04.jpg
5. Sunny Day Umbrella:
light05.jpg

assignment 3

Singing the Winter Blues:
For this assignment I decided that I wanted to interview people in the college about seasonal mood changes (aka the winter blues). According to Mayo Clinic is it hard to diagnose someone with only seasonal depression, as it is a subtype of depression or bipolar disorder. The winter blues can affect 5-13% of the population with symptoms of low energy, irritability and inability to concentrate. I felt that interviewing different college students would give me a chance to understand mood changes during the winter season. I interviewed 3 students, one in the Bachelor of Design in Architecture, Bachelor of Science in Architecture and a grad student outside of the arch major.
ASK:
Interview Questions:
- How many hours do you spend in school a day?
- Do you have multiple classes in different buildings or do you tend to stick to one building all day?
-Do you experience any mood shifts during the winter months?
-How do you feel?
(follow up questions)
-- mood
-- concentration in school
-- energy
-- amount of sleep
-What strategies do you use to get feel better when you feel down/depressed during the winter?

--Both architecture students didn't have classes outside of rapson and spent the most time in studio (about 9-10 hours)
--The grad student had multiple classes in different buildings and spent about 4 hours in school.
--Both architecture students felt that they were isolated in studio and missed the sun during the dead and darker parts of winter. The grad student felt that she got out enough to get some vitamin D between classes.

Some quotes from the interviews:
Sleep:
"I tend to get a lot of sleep in the winter, but sometimes at the cost of homework."
"I also need more sleep to feel awake during the day, but often do not get enough."
"My average amount of sleep a night is probably about 5.5 hours of sleep, maybe less."

Strategies to feel better:
"Going on walks, working in well lit areas, working around others as to not feel isolated"
"Also, I tend to read/ be as close as possible to the heat/light.. Like a sunny spot or the fireplace."
"My best strategy to get myself cheered up in the winter is probably make hot chocolate or take a nap."

OBSERVE:
It's interesting that naps and daylight seem to be the most needed thing during the winter. According to WebMD, experts are not exactly sure what causes the winter blues but might be due to lack of sunlight during the dark and frigid winter months. Lack of sunlight upsets the sleep-wake cycle of the body's natural biological clock, which is regulated by light and darkness.

Moving forward with my project I think I would like to look more into ways of getting light or better sleep:

--College students need a better way to keep track of their sleep schedule during the dark winters because many of them are not getting enough sleep due to upset in the sleep-wake cycle.
--Architecture students need a way to be exposed to daylight while in studio because many are stuck in one building for up to 9 hours or more.

assignment 2

For the first part of the assignment, I decided to watch a couple episodes of adventure time to get into a playful mood. If you haven't watched the show-- I definitely suggest it. (Lumpy Space Princess is my favorite!)adventure_time.jpeg
After getting carried away and watching more than a few episodes, I started to work on my mind map around our theme of winter.mindmap.jpg
Some categories that cam up for me were: clothes, outdoor activities, olympics, weather, health, holiday, food, and drinks. The subcategories that I am interested in exploring more were the physical affects of winter and different outdoor activities. After looking at my mind map, I tried to use to cross products and associations to develop some silly ideas. If I was stuck I would watch another episode of adventure time to keep my mind in a playful mood instead of getting too focused on the assignment and getting frustrated.sketchbook.jpg Here are the 10 ideas that I developed!
1. Kleenex Mittens:
idea01.jpg
2. Salt Bombs:
idea02.jpg
3. Resolution Reminder Watch:
idea03.jpg
4. Kneepad Socks: Last year, I slipped crossing the street and pretty much superstar slid into the curb. I would have really appreciated having these instead of bruised knees.
idea04.jpg
5. Heated Curling Stone:
idea05.jpg
6. Light up Snowflakes: These lights are able to stick anywhere and combats seasonal affective disorder.
idea06.jpg
7. Scented Scarf:
idea09.jpg
8. Snowball Gun:
idea10.jpg
9. Light up Boots:
idea07.jpg
10. Chicken Soup Cane:
idea08.jpg

assignment 1

For our first assignment, the object was to create a new cookie. I began thinking about cookies and different flavors that work together. I then created a list of flavors that could be interesting together to try in my very own cookie recipe. 2013-10-28 10.17.46.jpgAfter purchasing some different ingredients that I thought were interesting, I did some taste testing to see what would work together. I decided that coffee, pear and caramel were an interesting combination and set to make my cookie! 2013-10-24 19.31.27.jpgAt first, I tried to combine chopped pears and coffee into the actual cookie and have a caramel drizzle. I learned a couple things after mixing all the ingredients together: the chopped up pears made the dough watery/sticky which I immediately began putting more flour in to balance it out and into a more cookie dough consistency. That ended up making the cookies a little too doughy and more like a biscuit roll. 2013-10-24 21.00.16.jpgAnother thing I learned was that I probably should have sifted the coffee, it was grounded, but I still felt like I was just biting into a doughy espresso bean cookie. I wanted to make the coffee flavor a little more subtle, in case there were anyone that hates coffee they wouldn't be able to know right away.
With all of this in mind I decided to make a coffee flavored cookie with caramel and pear on the top-- instead of just combining everything together. After I had the final recipe set, I focused on how I could present the cookie with the caramel and pear topping. I tried multiple iterative of cookies, some with the caramel inside and some using a cookie cutter.
2013-10-24 21.15.56.jpgI decided to use the cookie cutter to shape the cookies and use the caramel and thinly sliced pears on top. My family taste tested the cookie agreed that this was a better cookie from the doughy, coffee heavy one.
I feel that my cookie is creative because I thought of different flavors that could work on a cookie and narrowed it down to a few that would work. Initially my cookie failed because I simply tried tossing all my ingredients into the mixer, believing that it would come out as a perfect cookie instead getting a super doughy coffee flavored biscuit. The flavors all worked together to make an interesting and different cookie, which made it feasible and novel. I think that the cookie has value because of the unique way it is presented which also enhances the flavor and experience of the cookie.
2013-10-24 22.00.28-1.jpg
pear, caramel + coffee cookie

-preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-cream together 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 butter until smooth. Add 1 egg and slowly add dry ingredient mix of 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking power, 2 cups flour and 1 tbsp of sifted coffee. Roll cookie dough and use cookie cutter or a cup to cut into shapes. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and let it cool.
-melt caramel bits in microwave (this really shouldn't take too long) and add to the tops of the (cooled) cookies.
-Thinly slice pears and add on top of the caramel.
Bon App├ętit!

Recent Comments

• rieb0055: Great formatting of your Pugh chart and professional final digital read more
  • rezek010: Hey Aicha, Very interesting product!! Also, I like the final read more
  • rhode125: Great name and great concept! You really implemented your problem read more
  • simpk024: Hey Aicha, Your graphics are very well done. I like read more
  • rusch107: Hello, Great idea to use a forum! I think the read more
  • schw1562: To begin with, a bit of blog clean up is read more
  • tebej001: These ideas really are a cohesive. The inclusion of light read more
  • wilmk035: Great generated ideas! Id love a light up hat. Or read more
  • yanxx184: Hello Aicha: I love your clear layout and also your read more
  • aixxx020: Hi Aicha, You did great job in the short amount read more

Recent Assets

• productdesign_image.jpg
  • pdes_pughchart.jpg
  • modular light.png
  • hat light.png
  • pdes_sensor.jpg
  • pdes_modular.jpg
  • pdes_foldable.jpg
  • pdes_hat.jpg
  • pdes_handheld.jpg
  • color.png