assignment 1

For our first assignment, the object was to create a new cookie. I began thinking about cookies and different flavors that work together. I then created a list of flavors that could be interesting together to try in my very own cookie recipe. 2013-10-28 10.17.46.jpgAfter purchasing some different ingredients that I thought were interesting, I did some taste testing to see what would work together. I decided that coffee, pear and caramel were an interesting combination and set to make my cookie! 2013-10-24 19.31.27.jpgAt first, I tried to combine chopped pears and coffee into the actual cookie and have a caramel drizzle. I learned a couple things after mixing all the ingredients together: the chopped up pears made the dough watery/sticky which I immediately began putting more flour in to balance it out and into a more cookie dough consistency. That ended up making the cookies a little too doughy and more like a biscuit roll. 2013-10-24 21.00.16.jpgAnother thing I learned was that I probably should have sifted the coffee, it was grounded, but I still felt like I was just biting into a doughy espresso bean cookie. I wanted to make the coffee flavor a little more subtle, in case there were anyone that hates coffee they wouldn't be able to know right away.
With all of this in mind I decided to make a coffee flavored cookie with caramel and pear on the top-- instead of just combining everything together. After I had the final recipe set, I focused on how I could present the cookie with the caramel and pear topping. I tried multiple iterative of cookies, some with the caramel inside and some using a cookie cutter.
2013-10-24 21.15.56.jpgI decided to use the cookie cutter to shape the cookies and use the caramel and thinly sliced pears on top. My family taste tested the cookie agreed that this was a better cookie from the doughy, coffee heavy one.
I feel that my cookie is creative because I thought of different flavors that could work on a cookie and narrowed it down to a few that would work. Initially my cookie failed because I simply tried tossing all my ingredients into the mixer, believing that it would come out as a perfect cookie instead getting a super doughy coffee flavored biscuit. The flavors all worked together to make an interesting and different cookie, which made it feasible and novel. I think that the cookie has value because of the unique way it is presented which also enhances the flavor and experience of the cookie.
2013-10-24 22.00.28-1.jpg
pear, caramel + coffee cookie

-preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-cream together 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 butter until smooth. Add 1 egg and slowly add dry ingredient mix of 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking power, 2 cups flour and 1 tbsp of sifted coffee. Roll cookie dough and use cookie cutter or a cup to cut into shapes. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and let it cool.
-melt caramel bits in microwave (this really shouldn't take too long) and add to the tops of the (cooled) cookies.
-Thinly slice pears and add on top of the caramel.
Bon App├ętit!

Wow this sounds like a really good idea for a flavor combo. I personally love pear and caramel goes with just about everything :) I liked the way you documented the process and appreciated the photos you added. It sounds as though you really experimented with the baking process to get the right consistency of the dough, which is difficult when coming up with a recipe from scratch. Overall great job. Looking forward to seeing them in person in class and possible tasting them myself!

I really liked how you took fruit and two other flavors and combined them in multiple ways to create different variations on your cookie. The end picture of your two cookies reminded me of something you'd get at a fancy party when they are serving passed food. Real fancy :)

Your process was interesting, I liked how you wrote your process and had pictures step by step to really give us a clear picture on what you were doing.

I also am looking forward to class and trying them out. I'm not a huge fan of coffee, but caramel and pear seems too good to pass up.

If you had more time it would be interesting if you could do a "pear jam" cookie, where the pear is sandwiched in between two thin coffee cookies with a caramel drizzle on the top. Just an idea.

I can't wait to taste them!

I like how you were thinking out of the box when it came to the flavor you wanted for your cookie. When thinking of cookies the first thought is usually chocolate but I like that you picked interesting combinations that people like myself would've wanted to stray away from especially the idea of avocado and coffee. I thought you approached this project really well starting with the generation of different ideas, buying the ingredients, and doing a couple of trial and error runs before you came up with your final cookie.

Your choice in pictures worked well with documenting your process. I like that you included a picture of the first combination that went wrong so that we could see what you were working with for your next trial.

I also thought it was good that instead of deciding to ditch the coffee because it didn't work the first time around you took a different approach to it to make it work.

I didn't get the chance to try your cookie but I wish I had because it sounds delicious! One idea I had was what if you were able to make some sort of pear frosting? I think it would've been interesting if you had tried to flavor frosting in a manner such as that.