« Baby Girl Thrown Four Stories is Unharmed | Main | Interestate 94 Reopens »

Romney Drops Out of Presidential Race

Mitt Romney suspended his race for the presidency on Thursday.

Romney made his announcement at the 2008 Conservative Political Action Conference. Romney told the group the race against Arizona Senator Jon McCain would put the Republican Party in jeopardy by increasing the likelihood of a Democrat being elected in November.

The announcement gave McCain an even more substantial lead in the race for the GOP nomination.

According to a campaign spokesman, Romney made the decision to leave the race for the nomination as he wrote the CPAC speech on Thursday.

“If this were only about me, I’d go on, but it’s never been only about me. I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America in this time of war, I feel I have to now stand aside, for our party and for our country,? he told the CPAC attendees, some of which booed in response. One of Romney’s staffers began to cry.

During the speech, Romney often cited the Iraq War as being a large part of his decision to quit the race. Romney said that he supports McCain’s approach to fighting terrorism.

McCain was unaware that Romney planned to announce the suspension, and was set to speak at the CPAC conference as well. He told the audience when he took to the podium that he had congratulated Romney on running an “energetic and dedicated? campaign.

Washington Post
Fox News