« Ukranian Wins Twin Cities | Main | Al Gore and UN Climate Change Panel Share Nobel Peace Prize »

The Inspector is Inspected

In an unprecedented move, Micheal Hayden, director of the C.I.A., ordered an inquiry into the actions of the agency's inspector general, John Helgerson.

The inspector general acts as a watchdog for the C.I.A. Helgerson has led a series of investigations into the C.I.A.'s detention and interogation procedures, the New York Times reported.

The New York Times went on to say that the investigation is a response to concerns that Helgerson has been overly aggressive and has not acted as a fair impartial judge of what is going on.

A day after the New York Times story broke the Associated Press as printed in the Washington Post reported that a number of lawmakers are expressing concern about this move. Many are worried that it threatens the independence of the inspector general when he is inspected by those he inspects.

The Associated Press story was a follow up to the New York Times story. It mostly talked about people's responses to the news.