DIGITAL FOCUS FINAL REFLECTION

Drandon: The Night Job
Digital Media

I initially didn't plan for this to be more of a music video, I wanted to just have Brandon shown from shot-to-shot from point A to B. after reviewing the raw files a few times, it seemed like I could do more with music because there would be too much silence and it would be a boring piece.

The instrumental was the first thing I started on, which consists of bells, synthesizers, and many other instruments from Logic's library. Next, I dragged all of the .dv files to separate my nephew's quotes and such from everything else. I bounced the tracks and put them under the video in Final Cut Pro while keeping the original audio above so I could match everything up with the music
After bouncing the tracks, I began piecing together the vocals with minimal effects. The main effect I used was pitch bend, but I was able to stretch Brandon's voice by using - my best friend - the flex tool.
I didn't have an inspiration for the beat when I started, but after listening to the whole thing over-and-over, I found some inspiration to tweak it a little. The 2 mini bridges were inspired by, "Number One" by R. Kelly and Keri Hilson, and "Neva Eva (Chopped and Screwed)" by Trillville.

For the video section of this project, I used Final Cut Pro 7. I mainly cut and pasted clips where I say fit the best. Since I silenced unwanted audio in Logic, it was easy to line the video up with the words in the song. When I changed the speed of the video to have Brandon's lips match with the words, I muted one side of my speakers to the song and muted the other side to the audio from the video
Since I prerecorded all the video long beforehand and couldn't go back to record again, it set up a huge challenge for how I would piece the whole thing together. The main strategy was to edit pieces at a time and watch the video over-and-over again. To get the clips to change on beat, I simply just used markers; overall, I believe I had close to 100 or more markers.

Every technical issue that could happen happened. Frustration and anger played a big roll in this project. I was just short of feeling like Pinhead was going to jump out of my screen and take me down to hell for expecting to get this project with ease. With Logic, I was fine until I was a little over halfway done. I had a system overload within 10minutes of having the application over, and that slowed my process down a bit. This problem forced me to bounce the song, listen to it in iTunes, and then make "blind edits" since I couldn't see directly where I needed to make the change and just needed to make it by ear. With this issue, I wasn't able to add ad many effects, as I wanted to put in. Just about every bounce is named either, "MotherFucker 1-3" or "ThisShitBetterWork" - just another way to vent my frustration other than using my stress ball. I wanted to fix the color and shakiness of the video and fix a few camera errors in Apple's Color and Final Cut, but I was working with .dv files and neither one supported them. None of my issues were resolved, so I was pretty much stuck in a position to where I had to make the most of things.

I wouldn't change anything about this project itself because I spent a lot of time working on it and I am happy with the outcome. The only thing I would actually change is the camera I worked with because I had trouble with it the moment I wanted to get everything on the computer. I will never use a hard drive based camera, let alone a JVC camera EVER again.

The idea from what we learned in the class about using other people's work was carried into this project; only it was my own work. I recorded the same video for both classes, but had two completely different concepts for the two and the biggest challenge finding enough video to separate the two. I think I did this well because both videos are different. If I were to share this to a pubic audience, I would have it aired on TV, on a show that's relevant to my project. I would also share this publicly on the internet. Expanding on this project, I really like the camera shots that I captured and I would definitely use them again in future projects.

Password (for both videos): desiree
Hunt's Class

The Boy from Dez Brown on Vimeo.

Rock's Class

Drandon: The Night Job from Dez Brown on Vimeo.