Project 2 Reflection

Part 1: PRE-PRODUCTION
It took some time with this film in the though process on how I could tell this story. I decided to give plasma for extra money until one unfortunate day, my arm started bruising. I thought this was perfect to incorporate into my mini urban legend film from a mysterious video game that controlled people after they played it. In this case, no one is safe from technology - even their own phone.

Part 2: ON THE SET
I wanted the entire film to be of a span within just a few days. I filmed everything by myself and that made it more of a challenge. I was able to tell the story through the phone's point-of-view by using the camera and holding it up as if it were the phone.

Part 3: YOUR FINAL EDIT
During editing, I wanted to keep a lot more than what is in the final piece. I kept it under 2 minutes and was able to tell a short story through a short amount of time. After using the camera as the phone for many shots, I was able to just add the sound of texting into the clips.

Reflect upon your final edit of the short film project.
What aesthetic and technical choices did you make to create a unified story?
I created 2 versions: one with voiceover, narrating the story as it is seen and another with just natural sounds to allow the story tell itself.

What choices of shot types, rhythm, pacing, cuts and transitions did
you make as an editor?
I didn't want to add too many hard effects because I wanted the story told through the phone's point-of-view.

How do you think these choices support the emotions or ideas you hope
to communicate to your audience?

What issues came up as you worked with the captured video and audio in
the Digital Editing Software?
The issues I came up with were deciding if I should use steady-cam in editing with most of my clips. It seemed shaky, but not too much.

How did you create solutions when technical problems came up?
I decided not to use steady-cam as much because it would take away from

How successful is the final product?
I would say this project was very successful as my first short film with no dialog and creating the other version as a narrative.

What might you do differently if you had more time and experience?
I think I might want to add more emotion for the character if I had someone act for me. Other than that, I am very happy with the final product and feel the story was told successfully.