Assignment1

This week's assignment was to create a new cookie. Because I enjoy baking, I was excited to give this a try.

My process started out with a sweep through my kitchen looking for ingredients. I'm a college student and any avoidance of spending money is always key!
I gathered and acorn squash, quinoa, peanut butter, brown sugar, carrots, soy flour, pistachio pudding mix, etc.

I thought of two cookie combinations to try: 1. Pistachio pudding mix/ acorn squash 2. Quinoa/peanut butter/carrots
The turn out of the quinoa/peanut butter/carrot cookies tasted ok. They could've used more sugar. The texture was also a little spongy. I would've modified the topping of the cookie too. In this trial run I mixed cinnamon, brown sugar, and paprika. I put that mixture on the cookies after they had baked for a while and then put them back in the oven. In the next trial I would mix butter into the mixture before putting in on the cookie so that it all melt and isn't just a powdery/sugary texture. I've chosen to highlight the cookie I enjoyed the most:
PISTACHIO ACORN SQUASH COOKIE Ingredients for the pistachio-squash cookie included: -1/2 small roasted squash -3 Tbls. pistachio pudding powder mix -4 Tbls. brown sugar -1 egg -1 cup flour -1 Tbls baking powder -4 Tbls. salted butter -2 Tsp. cinnamon

First I cut the acorn squash in two and roasted them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Then, after it had cooled a little I scooped the squash out of one half and put it in a food processor with the egg and 2 Tsp. cinnamon and 1 Tbls of brown sugar. Blend until all ingredients and smooth and fully mixed.
In a separate bowl I put in 1 cup of flour, 3 Tbls. of pistachio pudding mix, 3 Tbls. Brown sugar, and 1 Tbls. baking powder. After mixing these together I added 4 Tbls. of soft butter, mixed, then added the ingredients from the food processor.
While mixing these ingredients I put the squash seeds and some chopped pistachio nuts in a pan with some butter and brown sugar and roasted them in the oven for about 6 minutes.

I kept the oven at 350 degrees. I put tablespoon-sized plops of cookie dough on a greased baking sheet and baked the cookies for 8 minutes.
After 8 minutes I took the cookies out, pressed on the tops with a spoon to create a flatter area, and put a little of the seed/nut mixture. I put the cookies back in the oven for 3 minutes.

Voila.

These cookies tasted very good. They had a sort of mellow flavor that wasn't too overpowering or sweet. Perfect with a cup of coffee perhaps.
(note: in the second round of making these cookies I will bring down the amount of baking powder to 1/2 Tbls. They seemed a little too fluffy - almost like muffin tops)

final product.jpg

(Pistachio/Squash on the left, Quinoa/pbutter/carrots on the right)

Your idea of using acorn squash as one of the ingredients is wonderful! I think going for more a savory, mellow cookie is a creative idea rather than only thinking cookies need to be really sweet.

I liked that you included the end result as a photo. Though I wish you would have included a few more photos showing your process work; maybe of your failed cookies?

I will definitely be looking forward to trying your acorn squash cookies.

I like that you used ingredients from your kitchen instead of going to the grocery store. The constraints that you had for yourself in doing this produced not one, but two creative cookies!

You're process was also very interesting and different from the typical put everything into a bowl and stir.

I would enjoy seeing more pictures of both your process and the initial cookies, even if they might have failed. It just shows how far you have improved and learned!

great job, I'm looking forward to trying these out!

I like how you told us the motivation behind the ingredients you chose. Sometimes it is just as simple as 'that's all you had.' Very unique combinations you chose to try out. I understand that you chose them because it is all that you had but an explanation of why you thought these flavors would work would've been a nice addition. When I think of squash I never think of cookies. Squash isn't something I particularly like but cookies are so it was interesting to me for you to combine something I love and something I don't.

Very descriptive with your process. It was easy to visualize the steps you took to create your final cookie.