Assignment6

To begin this assignment I will show the 10 ideas that were selected last week as the most promising product concepts.

1) Vick's Roll-on Applicator
vicksvaporrubrollonapplicator.jpg
2) The Nap App
thenapapp.jpg
3) Vick's Color-on
vicksvaporcoloron.jpg
4) The Sick In Bed Tray
sickinbedtray.jpg
5) Vick's Air/Car Freshener
airfreshener.jpg
6) Vick's Winter Face Mask
vicksfacemask.jpg
7) Vick's Humidifier
vickshumidifier.jpg
8) Vick's Flavored Tea
vickstea.jpg
9) Vick's Massager
vicksmassager.jpg
10) Teddy Bear Kleenex Dispenser
teddybearkleenexdispenser.jpg

IS IT MARKETABLE?

Here is the data I collected:
1) Vick's Roll-on Applicator
Yes: 20
No: 3
Av. $ amount: $5.09
2) The Nap App
Yes:7
No: 16
Av. $ amount: $0.60
3) Vick's Color-on
Yes:7
No:16
Av. $ amount: $2.11
4) The Sick In Bed Tray
Yes:14
No:9
Av. $ amount: $9.77
5) Vick's Air/Car Freshener
Yes: 10
No: 13
Av. $ amount: $1.62
6) Vick's Winter Face Mask
Yes:12
No:11
Av. $ amount: $5.95
7) Vick's Humidifier
Yes:14
No:9
Av. $ amount: $14.28
8) Vick's Flavored Tea
Yes:7
No:16
Av. $ amount: $1.50
9) Vick's Massager
Yes: 13
No:10
Av. $ amount: $7.39
10) Teddy Bear Kleenex Dispenser
Yes:12
No:11
Av. $ amount: $3.70

From this data I have narrowed down the 10 ideas to 5 ideas:

1) Vick's Roll-on Applicator
2) The Sick In Bed Tray
3) Vick's Humidifier
4) Vick's Massager
5) Vick's Winter Face Mask

IS IT NOVEL?:

Vick's Winter Face Mask
I benchmarked this idea and found items that were cheap, expensive, scented, or non-scented.
cheap and unscented: Warm Full Face Cover Winter Ski Mask Beanie Hat Scarf Hood CS for $4.55. Key features are that is can be worn as a mask, scarf, or beanie hat.
expensive and unscented:Unisex Winter Cycling/Ski Sport Warm Full Face Mask Thick Headwear Cap 3 Colors for $9.99. Thick enough for outdoor cycling.
expensive and scented: Medline Surgical Scented Face Masks, Green, 300/Pack.
cheap and scented: I couldn't find many scented face masks. You could consider the medline suical scented face masks cheap if you only bought a small amount.
2x2mask.jpg
Vick's Massager
I benchmarked this idea and found items that were cheap, expensive, aroma, or non-aroma.
cheap and aroma: Rose aromatherapy essential oil active magnetic therapy massage soft balls water bag breast enlargement massage pad bra insert, one for $3.26.
expensive and aroma: Aromatherapy massage balls (T-spheres ) for $20.
cheap and non-aroma: Mini Handheld 4 Wooden Roller Wheels Arms Body Massager Green for $3.89. Has Mini four engraved rolling massage wheels.
expensive and non-aroma: Wooden Handheld Rolling Massager, Foot, Hand, Neck, and Shoulder Massager, Pain Relief
2x2massager.jpg

Vick's Roll-on Applicator
I benchmarked this idea and found items that were small, large, weird, or normal.
small and normal: Sephora Collection
Acne-Fighting Roll-On Gel, .33 oz for $12. The roll-on applicator allows for ultra-targeted application
large and normal: Tend Skin Refillable Roll-on, 2.5 oz. for $23. This easy-to-use applicator minimizes product waste.
large and weird: Lotion Applicator for $14.95, you put lotion in the chamber of the plastic wand.
2x2rollon.jpg

Vick's Humidifier
I benchmarked this idea and found items that were cheap, expensive, mini, or normal-sized.
expensive and mini: "Starline Industries Inc" Miniature USB Air Humidifier for $248.00
cheap and mini: Portable USB Touch Switch Mini Doughnut Humidifier for $9.96. Key features are that you put the 'donut' in a cup of water to make it function as a humidifier.
Plaston Air-O-Swiss AOS 7146 Travel - Humidifier for $50, use use it by attaching a water bottle.
expensive and normal-sized: Pure Guardian H1600 and H1500 Humidifiers for $107.99. This gives you the option of cool or warm mist.
cheap and normal-sized: HoMedics HUM-CM10 - Humidifier for $17. It plugs into a wall outlet or USB port
expensive and normal-sized: Vornado Vortex HU1-0022-06 - Humidifier - black for $180. This one maximizes humidity distribution with Ultrasonic Humidifier Technology
2x2humidifier.jpg

The Sick In Bed Tray
cheap and no compartments: Bamboo Folding Lap Desk Table Tray for $12.95
expensive and no compartments: acrylic bed tray for $79.95 at CB2.
cheap and compartments:Complete Medical 1927 Bed Tray w/Side Pockets for $23
expensive and compartments: Wicker Bed Tray for $139
2x2tray.jpg

B) Next I had to conduct a preliminary patent search on these top 5 ideas. Here is a related patent for each idea:
Vick's Roll-on Applicator
https://www.google.com/patents/WO1999032009A1?cl=en&dq=roll-on+applicator&hl=en&sa=X&ei=mgWfUqE_grrJAefygYAE&ved=0CGEQ6AEwBg

Vick's Humidifier
https://www.google.com/patents/EP2648789A1?cl=en&dq=humidifier&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YwafUpKwPOScyQGhw4DwAw&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAA

Vick's Massager

Vick's Winter Face Mask

Sick in Bed Tray

IS IT FEASIBLE?

For the mask idea, I think it will be hard to create a material that sustains the smell of Vick's for a long period of time.
For the Massager idea I think it will be difficult
For the Humidifier idea I think it will be hard to make one that stands out from the rest.
For the roll-on applicator I think it will be difficult to create an ointment that works well with roll-on applicators. The components might be too thick.
For the tray I think it will be difficult to come up with a product that is different and stands out from the rest.
Here are my estimates of the manufacturing costs:
Vick's Mask: ~$7
Vick's Massager: ~$7
Humidifier: ~$15
Roll-on applicator: ~$8
Bed Tray: ~$5

Hi,
This blog started so strong! A few things to finish/polish. Get rid of the prompts. It is useful scaffolding while writing the blog but no one needs to see it at this point. Your capitalization is inconstant. There are only 4 patents, and 4 2x2's. More examples for some of the 2x2's would have been nice as well. Great sketches though!

The organization of your ideas seem pretty consistent. I wish the listing of your idea was designed in a more fluid manner instead of from the same origin point.

Your patents would be nice to see as a visual instead of a link for your products.

The feasibility conclusions at the end was helpful for grounding down what might work. It might have been nice to integrate into the 2x2s so each product idea can be displayed as a separate process

Hi Taylor,
Amazing amount of information! I am jealous about the amount of work that you were able to include within this blog. I really appreciated that you started your blog off with your sketches so that I didn't have to look too hard for a visual. It seems like you have concluded that all of your product designs have their own difficulties in creation. Have you started thinking about solutions to these design hurdles?