Unification

Sitting in class with my good friend Nick last semester I was texting another friend of ours. We were trying to plan an event for our fraternity and I decided texting wasn't nearly powerful enough to say what I wanted. I quickly snagged the Macbook and began facebook messaging him. He turned to me and commented, "It's so cool that you can do that." I quizzically replied, "What?" I had changed from one means of digital writing to another so seamlessly and subconsciously that not even I realized that I had completely changed my method of input. The reason why is that the most important aspect of the conversation has remained: the audience. The other person was able to switch just as seamlessly and because of it we were able to more efficiently use our time. This is the move to technology Sherry Turkle speaks of in her article "Can You Hear Me Now?" We are moving to the point of unified digital communication through our mobile devices that is adding to the creation of our global network. Its fairly obvious if you're willing to pay attention, as I suggest you may. The most unified client I have yet to come across is an email based application named Google Wave I recommend applying for notification of a public release as it is only in testing right now.

I am intrigued by the seamless integration of textual media. You make a good point about audience being an important driver of communication, no matter its form.

This page contains a single entry by budz0016 published on February 8, 2010 11:40 AM.

2.1.10 was the previous entry in this blog.

is the next entry in this blog.