All good things must come to an end...

I know that the title says all good things must come to an end but there was a little bit of scarcasm in that...I cannot wait for this semester to be over! I'm really excited for my classes next semester (even though two of them will be the same but one level higher). I think that it's also the idea of having a fresh start and being able to work my butt off if I choose to and get really good grades. I'm not doing terrible or anything now but I think that if I really wanted to, I could be doing better than I am now and I should really try for that. It will be a great relief to not have any writing classes for the next year and a half since writing is definitely not my strong point. I'm more of a math and science person and I've found that if I have homework that's like math problems, I actually enjoy doing it and do it. That can make a huge difference in how much you learn in a class. I also get to take spanish which shouldn't be too difficult since I could have tested up but chose to stay in the beginners class. That's very exciting for me right now because I'm looking at my study abroad options for next year and it looks like Spain is going to be my destination. Anyway, it will be a great relief at 10 next Wednesday when all of my finals are done and I can go home for a break.

My Birthday!

It will officially be my birthday in 6 hours and minutes and I'm really not that excited. It doesn't make it too fun that 22 hour quiet hours will be starting tonight and so I won't even be able to make noise. I mean, I guess there's nothing really too exciting about turning 19 anyway. What else can I do now? I'll probably end up spending my whole day locked up in my room studying for my Calc 2 final on Thursday. That's definitely something to look forward to. When I turned 16 my friends threw me a surprise birthday party which was a lot of fun. I mean come on, at 16 you can drive, 17 you can see R movies in the theater, and at 18 you can do pretty much anything you want (with the exception of drinking that is of course). Maybe I'll buy myself a pint of ice cream and celebrate with that. I guess the fact that I'll be just one more year older is always cool. Plus, it will be the last day of classes for the semester so there's really nothing to complain about there. Maybe it's not such a bad way to bring in the break after all.

My new room

I know that dorms aren't supposed to be anything glamorous or anything but why do they have to be this bad? My roommate and I went on cleaning frenzie's today and man did I find some disgusting stuff. I live in Pioneer and since it's such an old building, it can be expected to have some problems. We've had some pretty nasty stuff though which makes me wonder if it can possibly be up to building codes. I've had cockroaches crawl out of my clothes in the closet, there have been mice and many other unidentifiable insects. Then when you add no carpet, no air conditioning and no working heaters, it's a recipe for disaster. Today however, we rearranged all of our furniture and I have to say that it makes things not so bad. I got pretty lucky to have such a large room so there's a lot more that we can do in it. It's kind of an odd shape though; just one of those random room (which I guess is what most of Pioneer is-random rooms) that is filling up whatever space was left over. Even though I may complain about it now, I'll look back on it in a few years and laugh. This is one of those great college experiences that everyone should have.

learning to play the geetawr

Just a few weeks ago I had sudden inspiration to to learn how to play the guitar so I decided that that's exactly what I was going to do. I had never really played anything on the guitar but after my weekend at castaway, listening to everyone play, I made up my mind to do it. Fortunately it's my birthday this week on Wednesday and I didn't really have anything that I wanted so I just asked my parents to get me a guitar (a cheep one- they definitely wouldn't get me a nice one and there would be no point in getting an expensive one anyways). Just this week my friend started to teach me some chords and stuff about playing. This probably isnt' a good idea considering finals are coming up and I should be devoting all of my time to studying but I guess that it's good to have a short break so you don't burn out. Now I just can't wait for this weekend when I'll finally be able to go home and get my guitar and play the 7 chords that I know. I think that a lot of the learning has to be done by yourself and is very time consuming. I'm really looking forward to it all though.

Loser with a capital L

I know that it's pretty pathetic but last night I went to bed right after I got home from the basketball tournament at ten o'clock. I mean what college student goes to bed at ten on a saturday night? No one! But I was sick all day and had only gotten like five hours of sleep the night before (due to some hall fire drills at 1:30 in the morning-thanks guys!). That was definitely what I needed and now I feel amazing today. College has really taken its toll on my body and I need to start sleeping more and all that good stuff so that I don't get mega sick. Especially for being one that's never had a very good immune system, it probably isn't a good idea to be eating dorm food, not exercising, and not sleeping. That's one deadly combination right there. Maybe taking a night off every once in a while isn't such a bad idea after all. I mean, it still isn't that exciting but how good it makes you feel is definitely worth it.

Weekend Fun

So the reason why I was so inspired to write about basketball yesterday was because I was working at a basketball tournament when I did it. After yesterday, I don't want to go to another basketball game for a very long time. I was asked by my sister's boyfriend to go and sell admissions tickets for his tournament at the Hopkins high school. The day didn't start out too bad but as time went on things got much worse. Numerous people were complaining about the price and taking it out on me. Of course no one understood that because it was a private tournament and they had to rent out the facilities at the school, that the prices naturally had to be higher to cover the costs for them. For the very last game, Hopkins was playing and since it was in their hometown, they had tons of fans show up. The one thing that really set me off most was when girls would come up to me with their designer handbags and UGG boots on and complain to me that they had to pay $3 more and how rediculous that was. Rediculous??? What's rediculous is that they have a $300 bag in their hands and there was tons of money in their wallets yet they still felt the need to complain. Those people made me sick (and I almost let them know that a few times but I bit my tounge). Eventually it got to the point where kids would just walk right past me and say that they weren't going to pay and walk right into the game. How in the world am I supposed to control that? I obviously couldn't use physical force. The day did have its few ups though. I got free food from the concessions stand, got paid, and I got to use the wireless internet in their high school. Even though it really sucked at the time, I'd have to say that it turned out okay in the end.

Basketball

beam splits.jpg
Although I have always tried new sports and been willing to play almost anything, basketball just hasn't been one of the things that I really enjoy doing. I grew up always playing in my drive way with my dad and brother and sister but that just didn't convince me. I tried it out for one year in the fifth grade and decided that it just wasn't for me. Actually, I guess it was probably more because of the fact that I had to pick between basketball and gymnastics and there just was no competition between the two. It's kind of odd that I chose to do the things that I do because my sister had always been really involved with basketball and I was always at her tournaments watching. It had always been something that was present in my life but it just wasn't interesting to me. Looking back on it today, I'm very happy with the decision I made. I learned so many different things from my involvement with gymnastics and through the different people I met. I feel like being in such a demanding sport made me more dedicated to whatever work it is I do. I've learned how to just suck it up and keep on going even when I'm in pain or don't like what I'm doing. I feel like this has had a very positive effect on my school work and my job experiences. For example, this summer I worked as a waitress and absolutely hated it but stuck it out until I left for school. I was also able to meet a lot of people outside of my core group of friends (most of whom were involved with basketball). Overall, I would have to say that I learned many things from my experience in gymnastics that I would not have been able to learn anywhere else in my life.

The Good Old Days

Picture 213.jpg
Although I love being in college right now and this stage of my life, I've realized today that I miss being young. That's not to say that I would go back in time if I had the chance, there's just one thing in particular that I wish that I could have back-my nights with my parents. Every night before bed I would take a bath and then put on my warm pajamas. After I was all ready I would sit in the living room with my parents before I went to bed. Some nights we would play board games by the fireplace and other nights we would just sit and watch the news while eating popcorn. I love the feeling of being warm and comfortable (I doubt that anyone doesn't) but it just brings back so many great memories for me. I also remember that I would often end up falling asleep in the rocking chair and my dad would carry me all the way up to my bed. I took advantage of this and sometimes pretended to be asleep but he still carried me up (even though he could obviously tell I was faking it). I was very fortunate to have such a great childhood and I hope that someday I will be able to provide my children with great memories like these.

My Birthday

In less than one week it will be my birthday. I don't feel as excited this year as I normally do (maybe because I'll be spending all day finish a paper and studying for finals). I think that it's not the same either when I'm away from my family and friends whom I've always celebrated with. It's almost like I have nothing to look forward to about it. I won't gain any new privledges and I really didn't want anything from my parents. When you're a little kid, you have all sorts of toys and games and endless presents on your list, this year, I asked for an underarmor shirt and some winter boots between my birthday and Christmas. I don't really need anything and those are things that I would buy myself anyways to use but this way I won't have to spend my money on them. Another reason why all of the fun will be sucked out of my birthday is that the day before we will be starting 22 hour quiet hours in the dorm. That means that we can only be making noise from 4 to 6 pm. I guess that we'll just have to find somewhere to go out. That way, I'll be able to have a break from all of the stress of finals as well.

Racism in the US

So I was thinking about our discussion we had in class on last Friday and despite what some of the people were arguing, I think that america today should take action to make up for past actions of our ancestors. This isn't to say that all white citizens are racist or oppress African Americans but the fact is that actions from the past still have their continuing effects today. I read an article about how after the GI bill was passed and the soldiers were returning home from the war, many were trying to buy homes and start families. Because of the new availability of home mortgages, many were able to actually own their homes instead of always having to rent. This however did not apply to the majority of African Americans because the banks refused to give them loans. Their inability to buy a home affects their children and grandchildren and so on. Think of how many people inherited their parents' home. For most families, their house is there largest investment and if African Americans are never given the opportunity for that investment, they are eternally at a disadvantage to someone who is.

There's no place like home

I've been starting to get very anxious about finding housing for next year. I know that it seems kind of early but most apartments fill up by december for the following school year. I don't even know if I'll be able to live in an apartment; it might have to be back to the dorms for me, or at least for fall semester. I've be seriously considering studying abroad spring semester next year so that means that I'll have to find somewhere that I can live one for one semester. I really don't think that apartments offer half year contracts unless you can find someone else to sublease with you which is rediculously hard. I really do want to get out of the dorms next year. I mean...who likes the 20 year olds living in college dorms? Oh well, I guess that if worse comes to worse, I know there's a place that I can stay even if it's not ideal. Something will work out and even if it sucks, being abroad will more than make up for it.

bell hooks

The bell hooks article was, in my opinion, one of the more interesting articles that we read. I am becoming more interested in issues dealing with racism after taking a class a race relations this year. I feel that there are a lot of problems in our society because of racism that are just ignored and therefore, allowed to continue. hooks wrote about her struggles in different school situations and the lack of care her professors displayed toward her. This wasn't strictly based on race, but more on the fact that they had no passion to teach and didn't really care whether or not the students actually learned anything. I feel like this is a lot like many of the professors here at the U. They just throw the information at you and don't care if you actually gain knowledge or not. They're here for their own purposes and that is their main priority. I don't really understand why the U is supposed to be such a highly rated school if it's not one that's going to benefit the students and teach them.

ILL

I don't understand what's happened to my body since I've gotten to college. Normally I catch every bug that goes around but I've been fairly healthy since I've been here. I thought that it was starting out terribly when I was sick for like a week straight in the second or third week of school but since then, I haven't caught anything. I find this very odd because overall, I have had much more unhealthy habits since coming to school than I've ever had in my life. I eat dorm food every day, exercise a very small fraction of what I used to, sleep very little every night and am under a great deal of stress. This just doesn't add up to me. The only one thing that I can think of that would benefit me is that I walk to my classes outside in the fresh air. Otherwise at home I was rarely outside in the winter time other than to walk to my car and back. Maybe after this week though things will change...my roommate has been very ill for almost two weeks straight and there's a good chance that I could catch it. I guess I'll see what happens in a few days.

Broke

I thought that if I worked all summer and saved up my money, I wouldn't have to get a job while I was going to school. It seems now like I might have to rethink that idea. I mean, I still have a lot of money in the bank but that's all for tuition next year. I think that I need to find something part time just to have spending money and be able to go out occassionally. I really dont know where all of the money I had went. It's kind of pathetic. I guess all of those little trips everywhere, $5 here-$10 there, really add up and now it's starting to leave its mark. I think that another big hit for me was shopping for Christmas presents for my family and friends. I've always been one to enjoy giving to others so I tend to go all out when it comes to this time of the year. I would rather spend my money getting other people gifts than wasting it buying myself something that I really don't need.

FINALS...

So I'm getting really nervous for finals week. I've never had to take finals test before so I have no idea what to expect. This fear isn't helped by the fact that my econ teacher told me to start studying already because it was going to be pretty tough and also that my calc 2 final is going to be mostly on the one section that I didn't understand. I also have a research paper to do (an ethnographic study) and I still don't have all of my interviews done yet. I know that it could definately be a lot worse but coming from having to do nothing before to this is a huge jump. I'm spending all of my weekend on homework and probably every night next week as well. Hopefully I'll be able to study well also so that my first semester of college won't be a total bomb.