« The Good Old Days | Main | Weekend Fun »

Basketball

beam splits.jpg
Although I have always tried new sports and been willing to play almost anything, basketball just hasn't been one of the things that I really enjoy doing. I grew up always playing in my drive way with my dad and brother and sister but that just didn't convince me. I tried it out for one year in the fifth grade and decided that it just wasn't for me. Actually, I guess it was probably more because of the fact that I had to pick between basketball and gymnastics and there just was no competition between the two. It's kind of odd that I chose to do the things that I do because my sister had always been really involved with basketball and I was always at her tournaments watching. It had always been something that was present in my life but it just wasn't interesting to me. Looking back on it today, I'm very happy with the decision I made. I learned so many different things from my involvement with gymnastics and through the different people I met. I feel like being in such a demanding sport made me more dedicated to whatever work it is I do. I've learned how to just suck it up and keep on going even when I'm in pain or don't like what I'm doing. I feel like this has had a very positive effect on my school work and my job experiences. For example, this summer I worked as a waitress and absolutely hated it but stuck it out until I left for school. I was also able to meet a lot of people outside of my core group of friends (most of whom were involved with basketball). Overall, I would have to say that I learned many things from my experience in gymnastics that I would not have been able to learn anywhere else in my life.