What I've learned about DiSC

I've now taken both the Everything DiSC Workplace Profile and the DiSC Classic Profile. I have to say I preferred the first one. It was easier to take even though both were available to take online. Not having to make forced choices on what term best described me made Workplace easier. I could just indicate how a term applied to me on a scale.

When I took DiSC Classic I was profiled as having a D style. I think that was because I was having to direct so much work and do so much politicking at my job. Recently I took it again and was probably more appropriately profiled with a C style.

It's kind of hard to believe that the guy who created Wonder Woman is the same guy who laid the groundwork research for this assessment tool. But I think he was a pragmatic guy and I love it that he was interested in normal human behavior back in a time when most researchers were not.

The people at DiSCProfile.com were kind enough to let me give the same assessment to my husband and run a DiSC comparison report for the both of us. That's a really powerful tool. Even though the assessment was oriented towards the workplace, it provided insights that could also be used at home.

Posted by bullwink at 11:14 AM · DiSC

Wayfinding

In my field, wayfinding is part of information architecture. It's about helping website visitors confidently make their way through a site. It's also part of marketing, because part of wayfinding is also about leading people toward the shopping cart or an upgrade or another action.

For one of my clients, wyafinding is part of building architecture and space design. I think the work of Salmi Wayfinding is exciting. Patricia Salmi is concerned with everything from signage to noise levels to physical comfort and mobility. Sound a little bit like building accessibility and universal design? That's part of what she does.

So while Patricia might be monitoring activity and sound levels for an area where a building manager might want people to linger and wander, I might be looking for clutter and visual noise on a page where I want people to read and not quickly scan the text. We've had some interesting discussions about how it's important to focus on more than just signage or navigation labels.

Posted by bullwink at 10:05 AM

DiSC and personas

Roles vs. Personas vs. Cognitive Styles in Conversion Optimization is a rather interesting post at Web Marketing Today. For me, in my new role, I liked seeing that the author didn't just mention Myers Briggs but also the DiSC personality profile and assessments.

That's another tool that can be used to help understand and communicate with others. We might try setting up an entire website using that tool in the process.

Posted by bullwink at 8:13 AM · DiSC

What I'm doing now

I quit my job with CEHD back in January. If you want to read about that you can find a few notes at http://honey.delobi.us/2009/01/my-wanton-act-of-optimism/.

My mother became very ill and was hospitalized three times and so it was a good thing I no longer had a job. I've been able to visit her in the hospital or nursing home and get her into assisted living.

I'm now looking for freelance work in search engine optimization (SEO). My current gig is with Super Cubes LLC. It's a good gig. I love doing this type of work.

Posted by bullwink at 10:15 AM

TinyURL or other service?

I've used tinyurl.com and snurl.com for many years and have been happy with their service. But having just read Analysis: Which URL Shortening Service Should You Use?, I think I might rethink this.

First of all, if I still had responsibility for a site or responsibility for a brand, I'd register vanity URLs right away. Yes, some of these services will allow you to choose your own custom path. So if you're using Twitter and frequently using a service to shorten umn.edu/college/departmentname/programname, you could try to obtain UofM-program and always use that.

You can also track traffic from those shortened URLs. TinyURL does not offer this service, but others do. So even though tinyURL has been around since way back when, I think I'll be trying bit.ly now. It's still a memorable name and it offers additional services.

Posted by bullwink at 10:00 AM · Social Media · URLs

Social networking/social giving

Now to get people to create these for our funds! How, how, how?

Posted by bullwink at 12:33 PM · Social Media

Playing with widgets

I've been playing with Ning, Gather, and other social media sites. You can come join me if you like.

I've added a couple of widgets to my sidebar. Scroll down and you'll see them on the left. They are simply RSS feeds, but made a little more attractive, perhaps.

You can subscribe to a feed for this blog, too. (Not that I ever have time to update it, of course.) If it seems to work, we'll consider adding a similar option to our College's news blog.

Get this widget!

Posted by bullwink at 11:23 AM · Social Media

social media resources for IHE

MySpace's portal for colleges and universities

(How) Should higher ed institutions use MySpace? Get answers from the higher ed MySpace advocate: Heather Mansfield, Web editor at Drury University

MySpace Best & Worst Practices

Posted by bullwink at 11:18 AM · Social Media

Usability and writing merge? Yes!

Go read Turn Usable Content into Winning Content.

Here is someone talking about both brand and language, about both brand and usability, and about emotion.

Posted by bullwink at 11:15 AM · Content