Assignment 7

IDEA SELECTION AND PITCH

PUGH CHART
In order to analyze my final five product ideas, and see which concepts have the most promise going forward, I created a Pugh chart. The following represents what I came up with, based on the categories of Novelty, Feasibility, Marketability, Clear Need and Competitive Advantages, all compared to the "Extend-a-Fender" idea as the benchmark:

pugh chart.png

From a quick glance at this chart, it seems like the winter product idea with the most promise that I came up with was the "Turn Signal Fender". Based on what I had already come up with in previous blog posts, I would agree with this assessment, as I was very surprised to see that no such product exists on the market today.

FINAL PRODUCT IDEA, NAME, AND SKETCH

Thinking of a clever and catchy product name just might be the hardest part of this process so far. For the purposes of this elevator pitch, I have decided to go with the name "Sender: the signaling bike fender". This name is easy to say, familiar sounding, rhymes with "fender", and will be easy to remember. The hopes are that this name reminds consumers of its two main useful functions; a fender for stopping spray debris, and a turn signal/ bike light combo for safety. Also, I feel like Sender could have an interesting logotype and branding.

The following graphics represent the final sketches I have come up with for this idea:

sender_500px.jpg

sender_signals_500px.jpg

ELEVATOR PITCH
For my elevator pitch, I wanted to remember to just be real, and tell the potential audience what the key features and advantages of my product idea are, in a casual non-rehearsed way. Here is a quick pitch of my product:

sender_small.wmv
sender_small.mp4

Hi Travis,

Your Pugh chart is very simple, clean and pleasing to look at. Some sketches next to each product idea would be helpful to get a sense for their features. I think you definitely picked the right name for your product. Having a "Sender" on my fender conveys the idea of communicating with the drivers on the road as a turn signal. I don't see the connection as much to stopping spray debris. Great detailed final sketches! I was excited at the first screen of your presentation because I thought it was going to lead to something more creative, but your delivery was basic and included a lot of "ums." It's good that it was conversational, but try practicing more to include facts about the needs you found during market research and if people would purchase this product or not rather than just what you observed or wanted for yourself.

Hi Travis,

Hi Travis,

Sorry for the comment bombard! I've been having difficulties getting my reviews to show up and all three of my trials suddenly showed up at once!

Hi,
From your presentation in class, I thought your idea was really good and I can see the beneficial aspects of this product idea. Your visuals are really nice looking and professional which definitely helps to promote your product idea. For your pugh chart it might have been helpful to evaluate your ideas against a couple more criteria, but overall great job!