WBLUMC

Blessing the Bread (from "Bread Prayers", White Bear Lake United Methodist Church website, Community Bread Oven link:
http://www.wblumc.org/subindex.asp?pageid=4&subid=3201

Blessing the Bread~ Lynn Ungar

Surely the earth is heavy with this rhythm, the stretch and pull of bread, the folding in and folding in across the palms, as if the lines of my hands could chart a map across the dough, mold flour and water into the crosshatchings of my life.

I do not believe in palmistry, but I study my hands for promises when no one is around. I do not believe in magic. But I probe the dough for signs of life, willing it to rise, to take shape, to feed me. I do not believe in palmistry, in magic, but something happens in kneading dough or massaging flesh; an imprint of the hand remains on the bodies we have touched.

This is the lifeline -- the etched path from hand to grain to earth, the transmutation of the elements through touch marking the miracles on which we unwillingly depend.
Praised be thou, eternal God, who brings forth bread from the earth.

Connie Burns (9)

I visited the White Bear Lake Methodist Church yesterday, and took in the sights and smells of the Saturday afternoon community bread baking activity. What a great way to share the fun of baking bread, while getting to know your neighbors!BreadbakingOveninActionWBL.JPG

A Little Background Info

In 2010, Extension Educators in the Center for Family Development participated in a Center wide Environmental scan. As part of the scan the educators interviewed people and businesses in their regions on issues facing families. In the West Central (Morris) region, our team interviewed many individuals, businesses and community centers. One such center was a large Lutheran church in Grant County. As I interviewed the pastor, it occurred to me what a great location for community programming, especially considering the meeting space and kitchen facilities. Of course, that led THIS dietitian and yoga teacher to think of cooking classes, stress management classes and... you name it! This isn't a new idea; I'm sure classes like this do occur in church basements all the time. But, that all led me to think about a nice complement to the role of a Parish Nurse. Why not... a Parish Nutritionist? .
One thing led to another, and I submitted the Parish Nutritionist idea as part of last year's Minnesota Open Ideas Contest. My excitement grew as I became a semi-finalist in the contest.
So, now what? In completing a Time and Gifts form at a church that I was attending, I suggested the Parish Nutritionist idea. With encouragement from the pastor and members, this idea is taking hold! This blog will be where I'll share what works, what doesn't, and I hope you'll share your ideas, too.

A Little Background Info

One thing led to another, and I submitted the Parish Nutritionist idea as part of last year's Minnesota Open Ideas Contest http://www.mnideaopen.org/search/node/parish%20nutritionist. My excitement grew as I became a semi-finalist in the contest.

Recent Assets

• BreadbakingOveninActionWBL.JPG