Studio Project #3

Honest Food Labels

Grade level: 5th grade

Time needed: 4 class periods

Focus:
This lesson will encourage students to become more aware of how the food they eat is advertised and also help them develop Photoshop skills.

Objectives:
a. Students will identify structures used in media arts such as chronological and
spatial (4.1.1.2.3)
b. Students will describe how media arts communicates meaning (4.1.3.2.2)
c. Students will justify personal interpretations and reactions to a variety of media
artworks (4.4.1.2.1)

Motivational resources:
-Web article "Food Smarts: Understanding Food Labels" from http://pbskids.org/itsmylife/body/foodsmarts/article4.html

-Youtube video: "Canada Dry: Jack's Ginger Farm" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEnDnebeCw4)

-Youtube video: "Food Ad Tricks: Helping Kids Understand Food Ads on TV" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjz_eiIX8k)

-Examples of misleading fast food advertising from http://www.listoid.com/list/117

Art materials:
-Computers
-Photoshop
-Flash drives
-Magazines
-Scanners

Introduction:
On a daily basis we are fooled by advertisements. Whether is how a model looks in magazine, actors look on television, food looks in a commercial or even how action movies are made; our eyes get tricked on a daily basis. It is up to the viewer to discover what is fact vs. fiction. Over the last thirty years, scientists have had a better understanding of the role of diet in chronic disease risks. In the United States, diet is now believed to the fourth of the top 10 causes of death. (Mathios) These facts are alarming, but true. It is a matter of health that students become aware of what they are viewing and make educated decisions on what's reality from truth on their own.
In the 1970s and 1980s, the Federal Trade Commission considered restrictions for the advertisements of certain food containing false advertisement. (Wilm) Since then, there have also been several other laws made based on what can be said and how far food industries can push the truth. It is almost a guarantee that if you were to look into your food cupboards, there would be lies staring you in the face. In this assignment you will be detecting these on your own, you are welcome to look in magazines, your cupboards or on the Internet for inspiration. After the student has picked out a label they will be responsible for researching what the real ingredients are or the real facts.

Full Lesson Plan: MEDIA LITERACY LESSON PLAN.docx

Before:
finall.jpg

After
Final#1.jpg

Bi Weekly Reporting # 6

2nd Library Source

Color Wheel Lesson

I came across a article that was written by a teacher whom did a assignment involving a color wheel in the middle school class room. At first it reminded me of a color wheel assignment I had in 2-D design, it could not be a traditional color wheel, couldn't be cirlcle and could be pie shapes. You also had to include primary, secondary and tertiary colors.
What made this different was that the teacher did not have the guide line that it had to be done with paints or on paper. It was interesting to see what the students would come up with and it gave them a chance to explore. It would be a much better idea for getting younger students participating and thinking about the color wheel and different ways to make art.
Here are some examples :
30n2.jpg
30n3.jpg
31n1.jpg

The Article: http://vnweb.hwwilsonweb.com/hww/results/getResults.jhtml?_DARGS=/hww/results/results_common.jhtml.45

Snyder, Jennifer. "Reimagining The Color Wheel." Wilson Web. Publishers Development Corporation. Web. 29 Nov. 2011. .

Bi Weekly Reporting # 5

http://applesloveorangespdx.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-10-23T13%3A08%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=5

I have found a Blog titled Mrs. Art Education. It is a blog consisting of only lesson plans. It would be a great site to refer back to when I am actually teaching for an idea of what to do for a lesson plan.

In the blog the teacher is focusing on learning how to create tints and shades with paint. around a silloute of their choice. I think it would be interesting to change it into a photo shop process or do both painting and photoshop with the same sillouhette and just use different colors for each image. I would have them do the painting first so that they could get a real understanding of the tints and shading. The students will focus on how they would like to arrange their different tints as well as what silloutte they would like to use. The main requirement is that I would want the students to use a silloutte of themselves. They will create it in photoshop by scanning a photo of themselves or uploading it using a flash drive onto the school computers. Once they have outlined themselves and converted it to black they could print it out and use that as a tracer or paste onto their paper. I would like the students to be able to use their own creativity. After they have completed their painting I would like them to duplicate what they did using photoshop. The only main difference would be that the photoshop version will be a different color than their painting. I believe that the two different styles next to each other would be interesting to see.
The whole time I would be reminding the students to try to picture the two together and try to pick colors or a silloutte that they care about. I believe I could do this from Elementary school to middle school students. The older the students the more gradients you can have them show and the more detailed their silloutte can be.
I bleive that this would be a great way for them to get familiar with painting as well as using tools in photoshop. I also like how the students would have an area to explore their creativity but still have guide lines to follow.

IMG_2033.JPG.jpeg

IMG_2036.JPG.jpeg

Story Book Cut Out Animation Lesson Plan

Grade Level: 1st Grade

Time Needed: Six Class Periods

Focus: Create an animation using Photoshop, learning different animation techniques and using cut out animation to re-create a children's book. The students will focus on the story plot and making sure it is understandable.

Objectives: The Student will...
a. Identify the elements in media arts such as image, sound, space, time, motion and sequence. (0.1.1.2.1)
b. Identify how hardware such as digital still cameras, digital video camcorders and computers are used for creation of media arts (0.1.2.2.2)
c. Share and describe a personal media artwork (0.3.1.2.2)

Motivational Resources:
The teacher will be using Power point during different class periods for directions. Power point will be used to show examples, demonstrate how a story plot works, and will be used to give step by step directions in a lab for using Photoshop and walk through the steps with the students. When it becomes time to start deciding on a story the class will be taking a trip to their library and pick out a children's book they are interested in. The teacher will also have a hand out explaining what they will be working on and doing during each class period of animation making.

Art Materials:
• Camera
• Tri- pod
• Paper
• Scissors
• Scanner
• Children's books
• Markers
• Glue
• Tape
• Mac computers

Example of a story book animation:

Introduction to the Lesson:
Cut out animation is a technique for making animation using flat characters, props and backgrounds. These are cut out of paper or other materials such as cardboard, magazines, newspaper, fabric. The world's first animated feature was produced using a form of cut out animation. (The Flying Animation) This was made by Lotte Reiniger, she was born in Berlin in 1899. She established a successful studio specializing in silhouette animation in Germany in the 1920s. After that she had moved to Italy. (Moriz) She used a technique that was only silhouettes. By keeping the characters simple and as silloutes, the come off as shadows and Lotte, had a lot to work with. Not to late after her move to Italy, Snow white was created by Disney using cut out animation.
Cut out animation is still used very often today. It is in television shows, and movies. In fact, all forms of animation are still used today. There are several different types, claymation, stop motion, cut out, sand animation and chalk board/white board animation. The couple that you may notice from television are stop motion, claymation and cut out. It is a popular and fun way of creating a work.

Example of Lottes work:
http://youtu.be/KxkIGXVwZTM

Disney using Cut out animation:
http://youtu.be/gMpgIYH_kJA

Blues Clues Example:
http://youtu.be/TB6H7w9CKBU

The Full lesson plan:
Lesson Plan.docx

Bi-Weekly Reporting #4

Digital Illustration

While searching blogs, I stumbled across one that was owned by Vector Art. It is an online resource for digital illustrators, graphic designers and flash artists. It's purpose is to offer free resources to the creative community. On Vector Blog you can find tutorials on how to create clip art and to improve your digital drawing skills. It is a blog where artists post their digital drawings, logos and clippings from around the world.

What drew my attention was that there are several blog entries about logo making. It has a tutorial that shows you the steps of brainstorming to bringing it to become an actual peice of art. I believe that logo making would be a great thing to incorperate into a class room. It would teach students about the advertisment world of art and give them an idea of how logos are made up to draw your attention to the product and make it look appealing.

I was thinking that It would be a great interductory to designing your own images using adobe. The student would come up with their own logo, it could be their interest, their name, the way they look, anything that represents them. After showing them different logos, how they have transformed over the years, and explaining how much art work and planning goes into advertisment, I would have them start sketching their ideas. I would have the students pick out their top 3 and elaberate on those and then finally decide on a logo they liked. After that they would learn how to use tool in Photo Shop or Illustrator and design their logo.
Having them print out their logos and art work around the room would look really neat. I am sure they would all be very different and represent each kid. They would have gotten an idea of what goes into making a logo and it would bring digital art to everday life for them.

http://vector-art.blogspot.com/

The following were some neat logo Ideas from the website.

logo-design.jpg

pop-art-vectors-geometric.jpg

Some logos are always changing. Here is a video I thought was a good example of that.

"Vector Art Best Things in Life Are Free." Vector Art - A Digital Illustration Blog. Vector
Art. Web. 25 Oct. 2011. .

Digital Methods In Art Education Bi-Weekly Reporting #3

Interactions Intersections, Art Eduction in a Digital Visual Culture- Chapter 15

The book Interactions for intersections is a great resource for Art Educators. Each chapter was very interesting me and focused on major changes, great ideas and up to date facts about technology not on in Art Eduction but in the world today. There are chapters on ideas for teaching, how the word is changing, how the changes have impacted students and teachers and the one that I decided to focus on; "Digital Journals: The Past, Present and Future of Electronic Portfolios for Visual Culture Learners by Shei Chau Wang.

In this chapter the author focuses on digital journals. This is my first digital journal and I am beginning to understand what the benefits of having this for a class is. It is easily, nature friends, allows others to learn for your postings, allows you to get feed back from others, and the list goes on. In the article he focuses on the benefits of having e- portfolios. Having an e-portfolio is all of those things, it also looks professional and is easy to update and change.

Although the benefits are obvious of having a digital portfolio there are down sides. Some listed in the book are educational, aesthetic taste and visual quality, identity and authorship, communication and language issues and technological issues. This section raises a good point, with e- portfolios there is the issue of forgetting why you have them (to analyze and critic), loosing aesthetic taste and making it all one medium viewing, using media to make your work better (but not in your own way), and communication may get tampered with as well. I'm not sure about everyone else but when I am online, I tend to not capitalize spell out made up or abbreviated words, and my language is not as clear. When using the internet as a means of communicating out english language may evolved into something that is not as efficient and cannot express as much as we would like.

This chapter has raised some pros and cons of using a e- portfolio to me. I believe that when I have the time I will try create a presentable one because it would be a great way to show employers your work. I also believe it is important to have another one besides online. As a teacher it will most likely be a method that I use in a class to critic and have discussions about students work. In other classes at UMD we have discussions and I believe they are beneficial.

http://fun-funzeela.blogspot.com

On this website there is a section that talks about how a English Classroom has used a e-portfolio to make work more accessable and easy to manage in the classroom. The following is a video from that class.

"English Speaker." English Speaker. Web. 10 Oct. 2011. funzeela.blogspot.com/>.

Sweeny, Robert W. Inter/actions/inter/sections: Art Education in a Digital Visual Culture.
Reston, VA: National Art Education Association, 2011. Print.

Claymation

Making a Claymation

Materials:

- Artist clay
- Pipe cleaners
- Paper
- Poster board (for setting)
-Camera
-Tri-pod
- Scissors
- Glue
- Tape

Step by Step How to:

1. First, decide on a plot, charactors, and a setting

2. Create your charactor(s)

P1010946.JPG

3. Create your setting using a poster board for your background and paper/art materials for props/background

P1010938.JPG

4. Set up the camera on tripod (make sure it is positioned correctly)

5. Position character(s) where you want your scene to start

6. Suddely change the position of you character

P1010957.JPG.jpeg

7. Take a photo

P1010960-1.JPG.jpeg

8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 until satisfied with your story plot

Tips:
- Create simple characters
- Keep movements simple
- If you are going to move your camera, do it a little at a time
- Try not to move your background or setting
- Watch out for your fingers getting in the shot
- The less obvious your individual movements are the better flow your video will have
- Have fun!

Our Example:

Another example of Claymation:

Works Cited:

"How to Create Clay Animation in 5 Easy Steps." Preparing Tomorrow's Teachers in use Technology. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Oct 2011. .

Murphy, Mary. Beginner's Guide to Animation. New York: Watson-Guptill Publication, 2008. 35-42. Print.

Witherspoon, Tonya. "Clay Animation Made Easy." Wichita Edu, 05/30/2006. Web. 11 Oct 2011. .

Digital Methods In Art Education Bi-Weekly Reporting #2

For this Bi Weekly Reporting, I chose to look at a couple of lesson plans based on beginning animation. At teachanimation.org there are a lot of resources for lesson plans and working with kids in art and technology. I was drawn to a lesson plan on making a flipbook. It would be a simple way to start to teach students about tweening and how you can create movement with multiple pictures. I really enjoy the idea of teaching this because I believe it wouldn't be over whelming for young students to learn and by doing this process they may have a easier time tweening in Photo Shop. I would have the kids make a very simple, couple paged flipbook the first day I introduce the idea. I would explain tweening and how you would just move your characters a little bit at a time and show examples on the web of flipbooks made. After the students have sketched out the character or charters' they would like to use, they would be able to begin their more complex flipbook with alot more pages. I would try to have them focus on accuracy with color, size and their image. This would be a fun and great way to ease into using technology to make a video.

http://www.teachanimation.org/flipbook.html

Another Lesson Plan I was drawn to was very similar to the Flip Book. It was a lesson plan on phenakistocopes. I don't believe I have ever made one but it is very similar to a flipbook, only this one is looping. Students (especially) elementary would really enjoy doing this project because it's simple, fun and hands on. The students will also become more aware of looping and that you can have an ongoing video. Both these lesson plans would be very helpful for an introduction to animation for young kids.

http://www.teachanimation.org/phenakistoscopes.html

Gunn, Karin. "Flipbooks." Teach Animation. Feb. 2008. Web. 29 Sept. 2011. http://www.teachanimation.org/fliplesson.html.

Gunn, Karin. "Phenakistoscopes Lesson." Teach Animation. Feb. 2008. Web. 29 Sept. 2011. http://www.teachanimation.org/phenalesson.html.

Bi- Weekly Reporting Research #1

Article Reading Response

I have stumbled across an interesting article: Is it art or is it digital decorating? By: Nadine Kam; Assistant Feature Editor of Honolulu Star-Bulletin. He had worked for Hawaii Computer Art Society for ten years before this article was published. I found it interesting because he touched on how technology is changing art and how its undeniable that computers are going to have a huge impact on art in the future. The fact that the article was written in 1998 might make it seem irrelevant to some, but to me I think it makes it clearer that digital art is growing.

Technology is helping artists to make art as fast as they can think of it. Some may think that is doesn't give artists a chance to show their true talents and that hand made art is something that is getting lost, but technology is just a way of enhancing art. It can be used to enhance and help with paintings, drawings, murals, and give directions on how to create. Not only does it help with other aspects of making art, but it is a art form of its own. It will not be demolishing anything to do with art but enhancing everything.

Nelander, a artist Kam interviewed seemed to have a fear of technology. "I feared for a long time that I'd lose the painter in myself, that technology takes the hands out of the medium. It still frightens me to an extent, but in defense of digital imagery, I still paint. That's my discipline" (Nelander). I am curious to see if this is still a fear of his today. I understand teachers may be intimidated that kids may be more familiar than them with an Ipad, Internet searching or cell phones, but it is the future of these kids and it is something we can not turn away from. Instead of fearing it, teachers should embrace it and not be afraid of letting the kids teach them. By letting them use technology for their projects and internet to research for them, the students will be engaged in what they are doing and put more effort into them.

I thought this article was interesting because I can relate. I am a college age student going to school to be a Art Educator and am intimidated at times with technology. In particular, technology with art. I grew up seeing technology spread in the school system but feel as though I cannot compete with kids who have had great technology their whole lives. This is something our generation will have to slowly embrace day by day.

Kam, Nadine. "Is It Art or Is It Digital Decorationg?" Global Living Diary of Digital Art. Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 18 June 1998. Web. 14 Sept. 2011. http://www.lastplace.com/livhhawi.html

Recent Comments

• Betsy Hunt: I love these examples. It would be great to do read more
  • Betsy Hunt: This is a great find! This project looks like it read more
  • Betsy Hunt: This would be a great lesson for either middle school read more
  • Betsy Hunt: Glad you enjoyed the book! Although the blogs are hard read more
  • Betsy Hunt: Great ideas Jackie. I agree that creating flip books would read more
  • Betsy Hunt: So what was Nadine Kam's answer, is it art or read more

Recent Assets

• Final#1.jpg
  • finall.jpg
  • Final.jpg
  • 31n1.jpg
  • 30n3.jpg
  • 30n2.jpg
  • IMG_2036.JPG.jpeg
  • IMG_2033.JPG.jpeg
  • pop-art-vectors-geometric.jpg
  • logo-design.jpg