Microsoft security chief uses Firefox

Just in case you missed my oh so subtle point in yesterday's bloggings, perhaps you should consider using the browser that the Microsoft security chief uses - Firefox.

New source here

Posted by calv0016 at 9:12 PM

Mozilla

By now it is clear to many people that with the continued incidence of computer viruses, worms, trojans, parasites, goons, goblins, and maleficient vapors, one should either be extremely vigilant (not likely for most medical students) when using Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Outlook Express, or find a better alternative. May I suggest Mozilla, winner of "Best of 2003, Web Browser" by PC World Magazine, "Best Web Browser, 2003" by LinuxJournal Magazine, and "Beyond Bliss" by Time Magazine.

A few options:
- for both a very stable web browser and mail client, try vanilla Mozilla

- For a more cutting-edge (read: developmental) browser, try Mozilla Firefox.

- For a more cutting-edge email client, try Mozilla Thunderbird

And just in case you think all this Mozilla stuff is only for the geeks, Wired now lists Firefox as "wired," Mozilla as "tired," and Explorer as "expired."

Posted by calv0016 at 12:31 AM

Happy Birthday, Internet

"NEW YORK (AP) -- Thirty-five years after computer scientists at UCLA linked two bulky computers using a 15-foot gray cable, testing a new way to exchange data over networks, what would ultimately become the Internet remains a work in progress."

Ya don't say! And here I thought it was a finished product. Full story is here.

Posted by calv0016 at 3:52 PM

A Whistleblower's Story

The New Physician has a piece written by the resident who report Johns Hopkin's IM program for work hour violations, along with a response from a Hopkins Senior Resident.

Posted by calv0016 at 3:41 PM

Lectures on Line 2004-2005

Lectures on Line is back for another fun-filled year. Dr. Stuart Speedie is working on setting up an automated system for creating the HTML schedules that should make the system a little more automagic. As usual, there is always the possibility that there may be some glitches, but I expect LoL level of service to be even higher than last year.

In related news - Drs. Speedie, Wangenstten, and I are sending out a letter to the MS2 Course Directors informing them of our expectations concerning lecture note availability. I may post the letter here so we can all see what the expectations are and follow up if they are not met. I also think it's important that we sincerely thank those who do an outstanding job, as teaching us is definitely not a trivial task. With your help I think we can make the MS2 experience even better.

Posted by calv0016 at 1:09 PM

Belen Amey Guiroy

A note from our very own Jessica Guiroy:
Guess what...little "Belen Amey Guiroy "has arrived!
The little stork so gently dropped her off (I wish I could say labor was
that easy!) on August 19th, at 3:09am. She weighed 6 lbs, 15 ozs and
measured 20 inches long.

There is a picture of Belen here, and here, and here with mom.

Posted by calv0016 at 12:30 PM

Windows XP SP2

Microsoft has released Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. This collection of fixes and enhanced security features is recommended for all users.
You can get it here, or by doing the regular Windows Update.

Posted by calv0016 at 1:10 PM

Lectures on Line in 30 Seconds

I put together a quick little video for the MS1's showing them how to use LOL.

Posted by calv0016 at 5:11 PM

NRMP Lawsuit Dismissed

A federal district judge in Washington on Thursday dismissed an antitrust lawsuit that contended medical residents are forced to participate in a system that ensures they work long hours for low wages.

The full story is here.

Posted by calv0016 at 9:36 AM

Star Tribune - To Be a Doctor

The Star Tribune followed the Class of 2004 through the four years of medical school, and has posted their multimedia presentation on their website. I've found this very useful for friends and family.

Posted by calv0016 at 3:55 PM

New Look

hope everybody likes the new format. Now that the U of M has their own blog system, we're in the process of ditching our old host, Blogger (now owned by Google). Hopefully this will clear up some of the formatting issues and give us greater flexibility. I also rolled the general html pages over to a CSS-based format based on the official U of M suggested template. Let me know what you think.

Posted by calv0016 at 3:51 PM