So, the summer is now officially over. School started. Back to the grind. So, what did I do this summer....
1) ICU epi research This research wasn't all that hard to do (hey, sitting in your jammies while working can't be too bad), and extremely productive. I have one abstract off to the local ACP Scientific Meeting, I'll soon send an abstract in for the national ACP Student Abstract Competition, I have a presentation to the Dept. of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine in late October, an abstract for American Thoracic Society's annual meeting in late October, and then a manuscript from my data, and perhaps a manuscript from my data merged with some other data. Whew!
2) Anatomy Webpage This went pretty well, I'd say. Definitely a nice group to work with. Here's the final product. Now if only the undergrad security would work, this would be about perfect.
3) Evidence Based Medicine Project This project was a bit more difficult, as the requirements changed frequently, I had few meetings with Dr. Benson, and I was given very little guidance. As this progresses this year, I hope to keep involved and really help evolve the project.
4)New Class Webpage I reformated the Class of 2007 webpage, and I think it looks pretty nice now.
5)Clinical experiences. I spent some significant time in the ICU, shadowing a general internist in downtown Minneapolis, and visiting the 3 IM programs in town. It was very nice getting a little bit more clinical experience.
6)Goofing off. I did sneak in a bit of R&R. 'Nuff said.
This week I spent the day in Dr. Ollila's general internal medicine clinic in downtown Minneapolis, which was a lot of fun. As is typical, we saw a former CEO of a major Minnesota company along with a mix of adults from age 40-80. The most interesting case was a guy who dislocated his shoulder, although the shoulder was still mostly functional and only slightly sore. Its amazing how very wrong even a suble abnormality looks after you spend hours in gross anatomy and hours learning the physical exam.
I re-created the Class of 2007 webpage, integrating a blog into the front page.
I spent a good deal of time this week helping with orientation - leading tours, speaking on a discussion panel, and taking a small group out to dinner. I also spent some time training my new Curriculum Liaison MS1 counterparts and making sure everything worked. Unfortunately, the Lectures Online server was hacked and then suffered some hardware failure, and as of Sunday is still not functional. But at least the anatomy course webpage I created seems to be perfectly functional.
I also put the finishing touches on my new webpage.
And finally, I received my new Palm Tungsten C from Overstock.com. I was a little afraid it wouldn't work out of the box, being an open box version, but everything worked great.