« Service Learning | Main | Working »

Volunteer Choice

For English 1016-Service learning, I have decided to volunteer at the Children's hospital in Minneapolis. With my goal of attending medical school and becoming a doctor someday, I think this will be an excellent experience for me. I chose Children's hospital because I love working with kids and I love being in a hospital setting. I’m looking into possibly going into Pediatric Sports Medicine, so this will give me the opportunity to see how well I work with kids and if this is the career path I want to choose. I've been volunteering back home at the local hospital, and love every second of it. Something about being in a hospital and helping people really makes me feel good about myself. I am looking forward to spending quality time with kids and actually being able to get to know them. I will be a little nervous on the first day just because I don’t know exactly what to expect, but mostly I am just anxious to get started. The process to apply to become a volunteer at Children's has been a little overwhelming. Filling out the long application, finding someone who has the time and ability to write a solid recommendation letter, receiving a TB test and attending an orientation have been very extensive tasks. Finally I have completed the process and I believe it will definitely be worth it!