« First Times a Charm | Main | A little adventure »

Wonderful Metro Trans...

So I've been to Open Arms a few times now, so you'd think I'd have the public transportation thing down. So I pulled a metrotransit.com search to check when the 2 would be coming, and made my way out to the bus, got on the 2 and settled in for the almost 30 minute bus ride to Open Arms. However, this time.. the bus stopped at Oak Street and the driver made the "last stop" announcement. Utterly confused, I made my way up to the front of the bus and asked the bus driver what bus would take me to Franklin, as I thought this bus would. She told me I got on the bus going the wrong way. This comment baffled me because I knew I had gotten on the same bus going the same way multiple times before and had been taken straight to Open Arms with no hassle. Anyways.. I eventually figured it out, it just took a little longer than I had hoped. My original shift at Open Arms was supposed to be Wednesdays from 5-7pm, but somehow things got a little messed up and there are always enough people for Wednesdays, so now I go the same time but on Thursdays. Tonight was a little slow; all we did was scoop soup for most of the evening. I met a woman that’s training for a bike race so it was really interesting to talk to her about that. Meeting other volunteers is one of the great things about working at Open Arms. With a lot of organizations, you don’t get to interact with other volunteers as much. But here, I get to hear the stories of why people decided to volunteer at Open Arms and actually get to know them.