« Presentations Number Two | Main | Portfolios: Blog 6 »

Blog Prompt 3: Revisited

The topic: Environmental Sustainability

While I was starting to research my Millennium Goal, I found a lot of projects dealing with environmental sustainability. It was interesting to me that environmental sustainability is such a broad topic. There are so many projects to chose from, large and small scale. Then, when I really thought into it, I realized that environmental sustainability isn’t very specific. It can deal with recycling all the way into alleviating slum development in third world countries. Any way you look at it, the priorities for environmental sustainability may be different but each project is equally important.

Photobucket

Before taking this class I had already taken inspiration from many people on the topic of recycling. The main reason for this is because my idol is John Mayer. He has been working for the cause for many years, and has been trying to use his popularity to inspire people to recycle as well as other things. Over the years he has been producing things such as reusable shopping bags made from recycled goods, using unique artwork to make them more appealing. He has also been developing a way to lessen the environmental effects of touring such as overuse of tour buses which emit massive amounts of harmful exhaust. Another thing he is working on is finding a more effective way to recycle the waste left behind at concert venues. He is taking part in the nationwide environmental benefit called Live Earth along with many other famous artists. All of these things make me respect him more and more and allows me to be inspired by his music and his influence on the environment.

Photobucket

I also take inspiration from my parents on a daily basis. I am originally from Utah and I lived in a very large house with more electronics than NASA it seemed like. Over the years, when environmental talk came around they started to realize that their lifestyle was detrimental to the environment. They explored options for using less energy and they finally decided to install solar panels. The solar panels now nearly completely gather all of the energy that our electronics use. This is amazing to me because they had to make no sacrifice in their lifestyle to do this. The solar panels were expensive, but it is only a one time cost. After buying the solar panels, they will save money on the electric bill and they will be helping the environment at the same time. They are now working on recycling as much of the trash they produce as they can. Both of my parents are also my role models for this reason as well as many other reasons.

Photobucket

Another thing I take inspiration from is the person who decides to make their small part by carpooling to work, or by throwing their garbage in the trash instead of on the ground. The thing I wish for is that more people would make this decision, and find inspiration from someone or something to allow them to make that decision. It is interesting for me to think that I make the right decision because of the fact that I am a fan of John Mayer, and I follow his career constantly. I do feel that it is possible for everyone to find this in some way shape or form, and this inspiration is found everywhere I just don’t think people are looking for it. I wasn’t looking for it when I found it, I just came across it. I am grateful for this because sometimes I feel like I can make a difference.