« Presentations | Main | Blog Prompt 3: Revisited »

Presentations Number Two

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ~Native American Proverb

Let me start this blog by saying I hate Moveable Type at the moment. I was typing up my blog last night for an hour and a half or so and was nearly finished when I clicked something mid type that made the web browser click back about five web pages…I exploded. I knew I would make it back to an empty new entry page. I sat there and swore for a few minutes while my roommate sat next to me confused. I was afraid to tell him why I was so angry because he had recently told me that I should type it in Microsoft Word first and then copy and paste it because the same thing had happened to him. He would have loved to say I told you so, but I wouldn’t give him the opportunity. I put down my computer for the night to keep myself from throwing it against the wall. Anyways, now my blog is late. Mercy please?
The presentation that caught my eye in the last recitation was another group doing environmental sustainability. I know my last blog was on the same goal but I find it so interesting, and each group presenting it had something new and interesting to say. The group that I liked was the group that was less interested in presenting their data and more interested to making it available for us to learn ourselves. They merely gave a description of what there project was and showed us how we could learn more. I liked the way they presented and they had interesting info too.
The first thing they touched on was air pollution. I was completely unaware that a lot of the devices they showed existed and I never knew about them. I had no idea there were things on gas pumps that stopped gasoline fumes from entering the air. The next thing the focused on was water sanitation. Our group focused a lot on water sanitation and it was good to hear another group present it because I learned even more about it through them. The most interesting solution to poor water sanitation is UV disinfection. Although it is hard to do this to millions of gallons of water it a very effective way to clean water. The next thing they focused on was ways to stop wasting energy. They focused mainly on biofuels which are good for the environment but drive up the prices and cost a lot for the government to produce which surprised me. All of these ideas though are being tested to achieve environmental sustainability.
Basically all of the topics presented were technologies. Technology can be good and bad in our environment. When we explore technologies it is important that there will be no negative long term effects. There has to be a balance of technology and just plain sacrifice in order to achieve environmental sustainability.