Life could be easier ... with Lynda.com!

lynda.pngAs e-learning is becoming more prominent, online course design, usability, and organization of information are likewise becoming increasingly important. The Lynda.com online training library sucessfully provides flexible and convenient self-paced instruction on a wide variety of subjects and software programs. As of 2012, Lynda.com offered 1,337 courses and is continually adding more in a wide variety of categories.

While browsing through courses, I was delighted to find that the menu options, headers, and footers are all clean and consistent. There is also an option to bookmark courses that you want to watch another time by simply clicking an icon. This builds a playlist associated with your account that lists courses you are interested in, as well as those recently started or completed. Additionally, it is easy to see where you left off if you haven't finished the entire course yet.
lynda1.png

My favorite feature of the site is that although many courses are several hours long, they are organized into short lesson segments; a particular lesson might only last between five and ten minutes. This makes the content much more digestible and can be handy for wanting to learn only one procedure or aspect of a topic. Users can choose if they want to play a whole chapter or simply an individual video in a setting.
lynda2.png

lyndagoogleanalyticsess.jpg
Although the courses are not interactive, they are engaging and instructionally sound. The instructors are experts on the topics and use a variety of screenshots, illustrations, and animations to engage the users. The examples used are realistic and the content is challenging while catering to a wide range of users and experience. Finally, the courses work on PC, Mac and a variety of mobile devices.

I took a course on Google Analytics to help with my job but found a variety of topics that personally interest me including video editing and film scoring that I will take in the future. Check it out!

Thanks for this post! Very timely, as the Web and Doc Management group is just getting started with using Google Analytics to analyze use of the new Staff Web, something we never did for our old intranet. Someone mentioned your post on Lynda.com, and voila! Our solution presents itself