Some thoughts on food justice

Many people don't understand what food justice is. Several conservatives I've talked to don't think there is a food justice problem, just like they don't think it's a problem if there is a huge and rising gap between poor and wealthy. Here is a food justice history lesson for us from 1987. West Siders (where I live) in St. Paul, down along Concord Street had a food justice problem. The residents had to go more than a mile to buy food. That might not seem like a problem for someone who doesn't think twice about hopping into their gas guzzling SUV to drive 3-1/2 miles to one of the massive super markets like Cub Foods or Rainbow or now Super Target and Walmart. But in a low income area with transportation equity problems to compound the task of just zipping out to the store to get a few things for dinner, even one mile is too far. Try pushing a baby stroller a mile and getting groceries and getting back home. What they really needed was a quality local, neighborhood grocery store or market that carried the things they all needed. But here is the catch: Those with the means to do so didn't want to invest in opening stores in the poorer areas of town. Access to quality food was not the same for everyone then or now. In current times, there is a trend of local farmers markets and urban farms springing up all across America in different neighborhoods, which is a way to level the playing field and provide access to healthy food for everyone at affordable prices. Most of these kinds of local markets existed in the past if we remember history, but were driven out of business by larger supermarkets. But in the case of the West Side neighborhood, all of the local markets were destroyed in the early 60's when the river flats were torn down and redeveloped for factories and industrial purposes. What was the solution in 1987 to the food justice problem? The neighbors banded together to create their own market. The 5 Corners Coop started and the spirit of neighbors helping neighbors triumphed. The 'West Side Voice' paper stated, "Democracy works only if citizens take the initiative to know one another and together plan the future." This is scary territory for most Republicans whose focus is on profits for the superstore instead of solving the food justice problem. What happens to food justice problems when natural organic food is available at a lower cost or even traded with neighbors and the profits stay in the neighborhood? Food inequality disappears. This is not a myth or a communist plot to take over the world, like some Conservative politicians would have us believe, but history proving what really works for sustainable neighborhoods. Human cooperation and involvement in each other's lives is the answer for a better life on this planet. The model of the isolated, gated community where people shoot innocent strangers walking through their neighborhood is the exact opposite, and the model of community that is being sold to us. When one of those neighbors can no longer sustain their lifestyle they have to move out of the neighborhood. In a real sustainable neighborhood, there is no food inequality in neighborhoods, everyone has access to the healthiest foods and there is no reason for being forced out of your home because you lost your job. History repeats itself because we don't remember the struggles of real people against power and injustice. Something to think about.

Posted by carl1236 at 5:13 PM | Attitude | Love your Neighbor

On becoming a Viking - 4

The heart of an Explorer

I've been studying viking-age history in preparation for participating in a viking-age reenactment camp at the end of June. I have patterns for and plan to make my own period-authentic clothes, shoes, tent, bedding, weapons, armor, shield, woodworking, furniture, and hand-crafted items to sell and trade.
So in the last few weeks I've been mostly researching, studying and reading. I am becoming fascinated by Archeology! I am amazed that they can even determine what some of the 1000+ year-old items are, let alone determine it's age and origin. For instance, in an excavation of an ancient sod long-house in Iceland, they lifted out and sifted the entire floor of the house one little section at a time, and found gold and glass beads that the ancient residents had dropped and couldn't find in their own dirt floor! And, it is reported that some of those glass beads were created in China! We know that the northern people were primarily farmers, fishermen, and traders, using their versatile ships to fish and transport goods. We know that they had established trade routes and towns via the sea and their boats well before what we call the beginning of the Viking age (when the pillaging started) It's also been dawning on me that exploration was well under way for the Northern Germanic people prior to and during what we call the viking age.
I've been researching the development of the Norsk people's ship-building, fishing, trading expeditions, and exploration. They wanted to know and see. It started by sailing around their own coastlines and seeing what they could see. It started by younger men and their boats moving up the coastline to find better fishing and fertile farmland, and then plopping down their roots.
I ask the question, how did they start expanding their trade? I can only imagine the scenarios. A lot of it has to do with migration of Germanic people. But a lot has to do with the heart of an explorer. We know the Vikings assimilated great knowledge from other people into their culture and made it their own. The only way they could do that is to boldly go out, with a great self-confidence and learn from observation and from other people. What is evident, according to the Authors of 'Viking Art,' David M. Wilson and Ole Klindt-Jensen, is that traders in the Viking age knew what they liked and what their customers liked and many foreign objects became study pieces to assimilate into their own style. And they were hungry to understand the outside world, and to gain more of their goods.
At a time when the known world was small, and the Romans had advanced as far north as they were going to go, the Vikings were busy charting the unknown and communicating that through their network of ships and trade. Their only boundaries were their own safety as they traveled, traded and fought off people who would plunder their wares. In some places like Novgorod and Kiev, they established strongholds, fortresses, to protect their storehouses and trade goods, and keep the trade route itself open for their own use.
There are also stories, or sagas passed down verbally of vikings who sailed out just to explore and see what was beyond. They had a confidence in their sailing abilities and were not afraid of going beyond their knowledge. It's evident in their stories they were cautious of attack from hostile tribes, but that's more an indication of what life was like for everyone in the early Viking age.
Jumping forward to now, thousands of years later, I acknowledge that my own life is more fulfilling when I'm learning and exploring. I got to know the Geography of the entire Twin Cities on my bicycle. And I brought back memories, such as the Fox on the edge of the Fort Snelling State Park, watching me bike by one foggy morning. And frequently when my wife and I are driving somewhere obscure, I'll say something like, "Oh, turn here, I know where we are!" because it turns out, I've biked there. Everywhere from Blaine to Hastings, from Stillwater to Hopkins and Eden Prairie. Bicycling changed my attitude and my life. I met a lot of people on bicycles who have the heart of an explorer. People who want to see and experience life around them and beyond their own house, family, and jobs. Last year I took a long bike ride from the Farm up North of Hinckley, about 90 miles and I learned some very interesting things.
So, In my quest to become a Viking, I'm re-instituting my bicycle exploration and I'm taking notes. A bicycle is a great way to explore, and like the ancient vikings, be out in the elements and really see the natural world around me. Just like seeing that Fox on the edge of the park, watching me.
I'm planning on making my own rope from the inner bark of a tree, like people in the Viking age did. The heart of an explorer is learning and experiencing new and foreign things. Even if they are ancient technology, lost in Modern times. Thor Heyerdahl taught me something about experiential archeology. He built a straw boat of the ancient world to prove that it could have happened and to experience it happening. By experiencing he also shed light on what it must have been like and what those ancient people went through to accomplish what they did. "Thor Heyerdahl (October 6, 1914, Larvik, Norway - April 18, 2002, Colla Micheri, Italy) was a Norwegian ethnographer and adventurer with a background in zoology and geography. He became notable for his Kon-Tiki expedition, in which he sailed 8,000 km (5,000 mi) across the Pacific Ocean in a self-built raft from South America to the Tuamotu Islands in 1947." - Wikipedia.
My first expedition by bicycle this year was to the library to check out a book called the Bicycle Diaries, by David Byrne. "Byrne's choice was initially made out of convenience rather than political motivation, but the more cities he saw from his bicycle, the more he became hooked on this mode of transport and the sense of liberation, exhilaration, and connection it provided. This point of view, from his bike seat, became his panoramic window on urban life, a magical way of opening one's eyes to the inner workings and rhythms of a city's geography and population." - from his book.
I hope to learn from Byrne's heart of exploration, and develop and record my own version of experiential archeology, and feel part of what life was like in the Viking age and experience life which I do not yet see, right now.

Posted by carl1236 at 9:59 AM | Bicycles | Learning | Life | Purpose

On becoming a Viking - 3

Today I started reading a nice set of two books on Swedish history. The author sums up the philosophy behind history re-enactment, or at least how I view this new project of mine:
"The past only exists by virtue of our knowledge of it, and each new access of knowledge transforms it. this process will go on until the end of time. As I see the matter, a historian's task is to recreate vanished worlds, to penetrate the lives of long dead generations. He must try to see their circumstances as they saw them, and so come to understand their age in the same light as they themselves did." - Vilhelm Moberg, 'A History of the Swedish People,' volumes 1 and volume 2.
Of course I'm only concerned with volume 1 right now, but so far it's a fantastic read and I might not be able to put it down.

Posted by carl1236 at 1:54 AM

On becoming a Viking - 2

After much reading, I'm amazed at how much I did not know about Germanic people and their place in history. One very interesting and informative item I found in my research is this wonderful Ph.D. Thesis. This is a good step in researching what it might have been like to live in those times : http://www.carlaz.com/phd/ Enjoy!

Posted by carl1236 at 2:15 PM

On becoming a Viking

No, not a MN Football player, but a MN-born, Viking re-enactor. On June 22 and 23, 2012 I will be participating in a viking camp at the huge "Scandinavian Hjemkomst Festival / Midwest Viking Festival" in Moorhead, MN: http://www.nordiccultureclubs.org/
So where do I begin? I thought I'd document my adventure as I transform myself into a Viking for a couple of days, because when I look at this adventure I can't quite wrap my head around what it is like to live in Viking-Age Northern Europe. They were Germanic people, one step removed, like the other developing Germanic people from what is now Germany, England, France, etc. Those Germanic people who happened to settle in the North all had more regular contact with each other than with the southern Germanic people. So where do I begin becoming a Viking and experiencing what it was like to live then as a Viking?
I begin with research. Mainly I begin with research into what period-authentic items I will be wearing and using at the event. I will need tools, clothing, shoes, tent, sleeping and cooking ware, hand-made products to sell and trade.
Since I am a woodcarver/woodworker, I just picked up this book as a starter: http://www.amazon.com/Mastermyr-Find-Viking-Chest-Gotland/dp/917402129X
I also found some great information on woodworking, clothing and textiles from the Viking Answer Lady, who has posted a lot of good research information: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/index.shtml
It's a start to becoming a good Viking.
Step 2: Start growing a beard, as It seems that almost all Viking men let it grow. It probably won't be very long by June, but we'll see.
Step 3: attend a Viking Feast in two weeks at the Danish American Center, put on by the Viking Age Club & Society-Sons of Norway. I hope to meet other Viking-Age enthusiasts. They have already been helpful in providing me with a Viking-Age tent plan.
Nothing to photograph yet, but the transformation will include visual and intellectual knowledge that I'll share here. Now I have reading to do...

Posted by carl1236 at 1:53 PM

Feel more than told

I looked out my window and saw skies of gray
and heard that the forecast had called for deep snow.
Through rose-colored windows, I saw the spring day
when I could see enough to feel more than told.

Posted by carl1236 at 6:34 PM

Spring goodbye

How can I, see her when,
Tears well up, In my eyes?
Spring is like, Saltwater,
I hate it, Spring goodbye.

Posted by carl1236 at 1:47 AM

I'd wish for you to sing

So don't you want to know, I'm over you the snow!
I will believe in Spring, if only wish were true,
I'd wish for you to sing, and never were you blue.

Posted by carl1236 at 12:58 AM

Goodbye Snow

Goodbye Snow; We'll make a man out of you next year again.
Seasons end; When leaves are falling, I'll remember you then!

Posted by carl1236 at 12:55 AM | Art | Attitude

Do you see anything in your children that reminds you of your spouse?

This is an interesting question I pulled from my "Journal in a Jar" this morning. The short answer is yes. Of course I question all of my views on life so I naturally expand this question to include humanity. I ask myself if people pass on to their offspring, not only genetic physical characteristics, but also dispositions. I do see in my daughter many of the same characteristics in her motherhood that my wife has as a mother. The way she handles and cares for the new baby, the way she is strong even when she doesn't feel like she is. I know my daughter will be a great mom just like my wife. Is that motherhood in general? Or is that a disposition that she inherited from her mother? I've seen many moms I could not compare with my wife in the care and love they use toward their children in daily practice. So I see that as something positive, whether my daughter learned by first-hand experience while growing up or whether the disposition was genetic, I'm really happy with my daughter and how she is handling being a new mom! And that reminds me of her mom, my wife.

Posted by carl1236 at 12:19 PM | Attitude | Journal in a Jar | Life